Header Gasket Leak Question....

'96 Cobra

Cool Raul
Established Member
I just put some hooker longtube headers with matching offroad x-pipe in my car. After double checking for leaks i found nothing, so i started putting everything back together. Then today i heard a small leak from the passenger side. My question is do i have to remove everything again (k-member) to tighten down just 1 or 2 bolts? Or is there an easier way to tighten them down? Does anyone know how many lbs. to torque down bolts at? Any tips or replys on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
Did you use lock-tite on them when you put them in? If not you will be chasing leaks for a while, you yourself probably know how much work there is involved in tightening header bolts.

duane v

Established Member
if you didnt use the stock stud and nut fastners to clamp down your LT's, you'll be fighting exhaust leaks until you re-install them...DA snake boy!!!

Last edited:

blkstangman88

Established Member
what type of gasket did u use? if u used ford original then ur pretty much screwed since once u have a leak, the gasket material will burn and the leak will stay unstill a new gasket is installed. when i installed my bassani headers i used ford original gaskets and this happin to me, so i took it all apart and installed then bassani stainless steel gaskets and locking type bolts and had not problem since.

white98snake

Established Member
for my install i never even touch the k-member,
unbolt the passenger side motormount and jack up the motor a few inches from the oil pan rail on that side and u will be able to reach most of the nuts from the top

'96 Cobra

Cool Raul
Established Member
The headers came with gaskets from hooker and also new bolts. The stock studs and nut fastners were too big and didn't fit cause the headers were too much in the way. I also put lock-tite on the bolts but what do i torque them down to? So more than likely im gonna have to replace the gaskets again? How long can i drive around with this small leak? Again thanks for all the responces.

blkstangman88

Established Member
u can drive around all u want but most likly itll get bigger and ur gas milage will fall. what i said about probly having to replace the gasket is cuz mine was made with gasket material and not stainless steel.

Users who are viewing this thread