Header Bolts

1993R

Established Member
I have a quick question. I'm sick of loosing header bolts so I'm going to use some stage 8 locking ones and replace my header gaskets while I'm at it. My question is what size to use with FMS headers. There are two sizes 3/4" and 1" . Any suggestions?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I have seen the 1" as a recommended size but I am sure someone else will chime in with actual experience. I have set of the 1" waiting to go on my GT but I need to finish the motor before that happens.

carguy19

Established Member
Put some thread locker on them when you install them. Not the permenant kind, the loc tite regular stuff and you wont have problems anymore.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Put some thread locker on them when you install them. Not the permenant kind, the loc tite regular stuff and you wont have problems anymore.

I have done that and it seemed to burn right off.

1993R

Established Member
Yep same problem. Probably cause I don't drive the car much and then go do an HPDE for a weekend. All the rev's and G's are backing them out........

stangbear427

Established Member
I believe I used 1" bolts with my FMS headers, but it was a long time ago. Now I think about it, half of them are missing too...

carguy19

Established Member
I use the arp bolts with the loc tite. What I do is put the bolts on with no loc tite, then take the car out for a nice long drive and let it heat up. Then I go back pull the bolts one by one and loc tite them and tighten them, never had a problem after that.

The main problem is that they loosen up when the header gaskets shrink down.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It just depends on the thickness of the header flange. With the FMS headers I think the flange is only 1/4 or so, I'd recommend 3/4" bolts. BBK has 3/8" thick flanges and some use 1/2" flanges, for those definitely go 1" bolts. Measure your flange thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread