header bolts or studs

BlowerMan

Established Member
I used factory studs. I had to shorten one on the pass side to make my Kooks fit. Studs are superior and easier to use. Buy new m8-1.25 metal locknuts though! Pulling all those studs and trying to start bolts without damaging any threads was too much of a risk for me!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure what difference it makes, but the OEM studs are fairly long and may need to be cut down for clearance on the lower bolts, depending on how the tubing is run on the headers. Bear in mind, you need enough room to start the nut as well. I used stainless steel header bolts on mine.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
M8x1.25x30mm UHL ARP 12 point SS bolts, used them on all my 2v header installs, and just used them again on my 4v setup.

99VERT

Established Member
Stage 8 on mine. These mod motors don't rattle like the old push rod 5.0s! Back then you had to constantly tighten up the header bolts! My kooks have been on for over a year and not even a hint of exhaust leak! The old studs came right out for me and the angle at which the new bolts go in I never felt concerns of cross threading.

Users who are viewing this thread