Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Header bolts

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Since i got one side out while my trans is getting fixed. I was thinking of putting in some header bolts rather then the studs. I have heard horror stories about striped heads. What are you guys using with your long tubes?

black 10th vert

Established Member
same here... have used stage 8's on previous projects with excellent results, and have a new set ready for the header install this winter on my Cobra as well. Studs are great to avoid stripping, but they have no locking feature to prevent loosening, so that would just be another maintenance item to keep up with.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Retain as many of the stock studs as possible!

I don't care what bolts you are running. Torqueing bolts into aluminum threads will stretch, something that won't occur with studs. If possible the holes that require bolts should have two or more heli-coils installed to beef-up the threads.

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
I had to pull my k member to replace the header gaskets. And when I started pulling off the stocks nuts from the studs... super loose!

I put stage 8s in but be sure to run a M8-1.25 tap through the holes to clean them up.... I cross-threaded a couple bolts and I didn't feel comfortable guessing if they were going in right after that. Went in easy when they were cleaned up though!

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Percy's locking header bolts here on my personal car and 100 other header installs ive done never had a leak with stock gaskets and these bolts

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I had to pull my k member to replace the header gaskets. And when I started pulling off the stocks nuts from the studs... super loose!

I put stage 8s in but be sure to run a M8-1.25 tap through the holes to clean them up.... I cross-threaded a couple bolts and I didn't feel comfortable guessing if they were going in right after that. Went in easy when they were cleaned up though!

Don't use a tap. Use a thread chaser :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Percy's locking header bolts here on my personal car and 100 other header installs ive done never had a leak with stock gaskets and these bolts

How do those compare to the Stage 8s?

Has anyone used lockers on Bassani headers?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Any other bolt or stud options?

Looks like ARP makes a M8 x 1.25 with UHL of 20/25mm that might fit. #671-1001 / 671-1002 but no locking washer or anything.

moonltgold

Retain as many of the stock studs as possible!

I don't care what bolts you are running. Torqueing bolts into aluminum threads will stretch, something that won't occur with studs. If possible the holes that require bolts should have two or more heli-coils installed to beef-up the threads.[/QUOTE

+1.. Been there done that multiple times.

ttype69

Established Member
hedman hedder bolts part num, hed-09009 used , I did not remove my k member to do the leak repair so the bolts made re-install way easy. Had no issues with threads, I test fit the bolts had no binding.

please feel free to subscribe to my youtube page thanks any questions just message me

[youtube_browser]8xfUiMYEbY4&feature[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
Stock studs, stock nuts, stock gaskets. Never had a leak after many thousands of miles on multiple cars.
Fyi, the stock studs have a crimp at the end making them a locking nut,,, but you need to use them with stock gaskets. The aftermarket gaskets are typically thicker and tend expand and contract more than the stock gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread