headed to the track for the next couple weekends

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Ok so I am headed to the track this coming weekend and the following weekend and have a question.So I am wondering if I should drain most of the antifreeze out of the intercooler tank or all of it and just put some water in there and then when I get to the track should I just keep putting ice in it or what else can you suggest. My biggest hurdle I am going to have is going to be tires I have nitto drag radials but I don't have a whole lot of faith in them, I ran them on a turbo car I had and another supercharged car and couldn't ever get them to hook very well. If I knew what all I would have to grind down I would just go buy a set of welds for the rear and run mickeys like my other cars, but I am not sure what to grind or how much so I guess I will try what I have I have a set of 17 inch nittos and those are just stock size, I also have a set on fr500 wheels that are 295/45/18 I am going to take those along to and see if either will hook at all. If anyone has any imput on running ice in the intercooler tank I am all ears.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Just keep what you have in the I/C. I'm assuming its just 50/50 antifreeze. The gain in heat transfer from a 50/50 coolant to water is minimal at best. Your better off keeping your anti corrosion protection with the 50/50.

You'll more than likely smoke the nittos off the line getting a 60ft of 2.0 at best i assume. the smaller the rear rim and more meat on the tire the better. Idealy a bias ply slick in a 26" would provide the best results. If you run the nittos or a MT ET street radial make sure you feather it out the hole versus rev'ing up and dumping the clutch. Dumping will more than liekly result in a nice tow truck ride home.....

Have fun and take it easy.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I trailer all my cars to the track since the tracks are close to 3 hours away, I learned my leason when I first started racing when I was 16 and I had driven my car to the track and I busted 2 of the gears in my t5 and barely made it home.So I trailer all my cars when I go.The reason I asked about icing the water tank is for cooler air going into the motor, I also hooked my intercooler pump up to a toggle switch along with my fan so I can run all of them and cool down the motor quicker.

I would give anything to go to an et drag or even an et street I have never had any issue getting any car to hook on either one like I have on a drag radial hence the reason I asked what and how much needs ground off to make them work on my car. I can get my hands on a full set of 15 inch welds for under 300 I cant use the fronts since my car has 6 piston wilwood brakes on the front so I would have to run atleast a 17 inch up front but the rear may be doable.

BMSTNG

Established Member
I would check with the track as far as running antifreeze. I know when I raced, you weren't allowed to run antifreeze in the car at all. When you go through tech and they see it they would tell you to drain it or you can't run. As far as icing the tank, I think I would go with dry ice so that you don't run the risk of overfilling the tank by having the ice melt and then having to continously drain the tank. jmo

badjuicedgt

Established Member
The track I'm going to and any around me you can run anti freeze as long as it has the stock cooling system and all lines run in stock location, and have an overflow tank.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Just keep what you have in the I/C. I'm assuming its just 50/50 antifreeze. The gain in heat transfer from a 50/50 coolant to water is minimal at best. Your better off keeping your anti corrosion protection with the 50/50.

You'll more than likely smoke the nittos off the line getting a 60ft of 2.0 at best i assume. the smaller the rear rim and more meat on the tire the better. Idealy a bias ply slick in a 26" would provide the best results. If you run the nittos or a MT ET street radial make sure you feather it out the hole versus rev'ing up and dumping the clutch. Dumping will more than liekly result in a nice tow truck ride home.....

Have fun and take it easy.

This.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I guess I wasn't clear on the question about the intercooler I wasn't wanting to switch from antifreeze to water my question was more along the lines of should I use ice the intercooler tank or just leave it. I have always iced the intakes on my other cars or didn't worry about it because I was running nitrous.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have an aftermarket intercooler tank? You're not going to be able to get enough ice there to make a difference with the stock one but if you have an aftermarket absolutely put ice in. You'll be fine running ice in there, that's what the other guy was trying to say. If you're running 50/50 it already has water in the antifreeze and running more isn't going to hurt anything. Whatever is going to evaporate is going to evaporate and whatever is left over will still sum up to a 50/50 mixture.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
yes I have an aftermarket aluminum tank,and that's the answer I was looking for.This is my first cobra but have had turbo fox bodies and a lot of nitrous cars, and my biggest hurdle is going to be tires luckily the one track close to me well 2 and a half hours away is having a kind of open fun weekend where you can run as many times as you want for free on Friday and Saturday and they are setting up a road course to run also, and it is the weekend before we go to the nmra run at national trails the following week. Hopefully I will atleast get a few runs in to get a feel for the car at this point with the tires I have I will be very happy with an 11 sec pass.

Users who are viewing this thread