head tick?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
It's heavier sounding then my 2003 Cobra tick was. Time to tear it down and look at everything. Probably at the very least have to get new valve guilds installed.

Blueline

Established Member
That does not sound good. Before you start tearing anything apart do the following:

- drain the oil and inspect it for metal etc...

- cut open your oil filter and also inspect it... (What brand oil filter are you using)?

- compression test

- leak down test

- borrow a bore o scope and look into the plug holes for anything a miss. But by this time your previous tests will already be pointing you to the problem cylinder(s).

GL keep us posted!

Storm728

Established Member
That does not sound good. Before you start tearing anything apart do the following:

- drain the oil and inspect it for metal etc...

- cut open your oil filter and also inspect it... (What brand oil filter are you using)?

- compression test

- leak down test

- borrow a bore o scope and look into the plug holes for anything a miss. But by this time your previous tests will already be pointing you to the problem cylinder(s).

GL keep us posted!

last time i did the oil when it had this noise it was fine no metal at all. filter is mobil 1. done a leakdown test all cylinders are fine. did the boreoscope as well previously and nothing

Storm728

Established Member
also i was watching the vid myself and the noise sounds more pronounced and loud than it actually is in person. but its still noticeable. i cant hear it while driving or revving the motor. it seems to come and go

Blueline

Established Member
Could be a lash adjuster also, but you may have to do more investigating. That's good news that the compression, leak down and scope results were all positive. How's your oil pressure?

Blueline

Established Member
Can you pull the belt off of the blower once it's warmed up and you know it's making the noise. See if it's still doing it.

Storm728

Established Member
Could be a lash adjuster also, but you may have to do more investigating. That's good news that the compression, leak down and scope results were all positive. How's your oil pressure?

Can you pull the belt off of the blower once it's warmed up and you know it's making the noise. See if it's still doing it.

what would that rule out

Jmonty6

03 Cobra
Established Member
Not saying this is your problem.. but mine sounded like that at first. It got worse when got up to temp and when cruising. Couldnt hear it when I would mash down on it, but i think the exhaust, supercharger, and whatever drowned it out. But it drove fine and i finally am able to get it fixed. I went it thinking it was a head tick and come to find out it was the pistons slapping around inside the block. It wore out the walls of the block. Some moved around worse than others but just moving the pistons back and forth by hand sounded like that tap i was hearing. No idea how it happened but its costing me a new bottom end. But a lot of things it could be.. but mine sounded like that when it was first starting out. And like i said got progressively worse.

Storm728

Established Member
Not saying this is your problem.. but mine sounded like that at first. It got worse when got up to temp and when cruising. Couldnt hear it when I would mash down on it, but i think the exhaust, supercharger, and whatever drowned it out. But it drove fine and i finally am able to get it fixed. I went it thinking it was a head tick and come to find out it was the pistons slapping around inside the block. It wore out the walls of the block. Some moved around worse than others but just moving the pistons back and forth by hand sounded like that tap i was hearing. No idea how it happened but its costing me a new bottom end. But a lot of things it could be.. but mine sounded like that when it was first starting out. And like i said got progressively worse.

not what i wanted to hear :bash:

Storm728

Established Member

not what i wanted to hear :bash: i pinpointed it to the #6 cylinder on the upper valve cover bolt. doesnt get louder with engine speed

hotcobra03

Established Member
what were the compression numbers?

it sounds alot like mine did..2 different heads both cyl 6 issues..exhaust valve seat dropped on both..1st was 4 thread..2nd was 1st 9 thread..im on newest head now..

good luck

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
If it was piston slap wouldn't the leakdown and compression numbers be bad as well? I'd think if you had good comp and leakdown that would eliminate that.

Storm728

Established Member
its definitely in the head. pulled fuel from suspect ones no change. took a crazy sensitive stethoscope to the manifolds, block, blower, injectors, heads, cam covers. pinpointed right on #6 upper cam cover bolt. it sounds like a lifter or something associated with one of the intake valves. not burning oil, gone while cold but comes around when hot. drowns out when the engine revs up. but if i rev with the stethoscope on the bolt i can hear it staying about the same volume but speeding up. id say loose valve seat, bad lifter,roller rocker or maybe guide but i thought you burn oil with that issue.

hotcobra03

Established Member
its definitely in the head. pulled fuel from suspect ones no change. took a crazy sensitive stethoscope to the manifolds, block, blower, injectors, heads, cam covers. pinpointed right on #6 upper cam cover bolt. it sounds like a lifter or something associated with one of the intake valves. not burning oil, gone while cold but comes around when hot. drowns out when the engine revs up. but if i rev with the stethoscope on the bolt i can hear it staying about the same volume but speeding up. id say loose valve seat, bad lifter,roller rocker or maybe guide but i thought you burn oil with that issue.

You might be in an early stage before dropping valve seat..like its valve seat rock

From some of the pics shown on issue..its a round tube in a square hole..

I recall getting flashing engine light just before issue both times

Last edited:

Storm728

Established Member
You might be in an early stage before dropping valve seat..like its valve seat rock

From some of the pics shown on issue..its a round tube in a square hole..

I recall getting flashing engine light just before issue both times

havent gotten a cel.
i watched a video by modularheadshop that showed the seat being allowed to move around in the head and slightly drop down but never fully drop out. was the latter the case for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StmuxYxB_gI

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
havent gotten a cel.
i watched a video by modularheadshop that showed the seat being allowed to move around in the head and slightly drop down but never fully drop out. was the latter the case for you
03 cobra head tick? - YouTube

From the look. Seat dropped..piston hammered valve..

#6 has piston has 2 hash marks..

@60k first head
@205k 2nd head..fixed head
@225k cyl 7 cracked..install new head

@357k now still rocking

Users who are viewing this thread