head tick??

SYMach9184

Established Member
I just changed my oil in my car and now I notice a noise like a head tick or exhaust leak. I can hear it faintly at idle when I rev the engine but it gets louder when I drive it. Im not saying the oil change did it but its only after that I noticed it. Has anyone had a similar situation? Can anyone recommend a shop in the NJ area that can check it out for me. Thanks Mike

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Take it to the dealer. They have an additive to put in the oil. Might fix it. How many miles on the car?

Not to sound like a jerk. But did u check the oil? U have a full 8 quarts in there?

Last edited:

BlackMamba3

Established Member
How many miles do u have on it? I waited till 3500. Wanted to make sure every thing was seated

Almost 3,000. I also have waited until everything has seated good. I have no issues at all. I'm going to be putting in 5w30 because of winter. I actually think I'm going to pass on the additive after reading some other threads on other forums.

SYMach9184

Established Member
The car has 12k miles on it. I def put 8qts in cause thats what I bought lol. The only difference is the weight of the oil. I went from 5/20 to 5/30 royal purple. there is a thread on this different oils in these cars and from what I got out of it was the 5/30 was better. Id like to get some more feeback before I spend another $80 on a oil change. I bought the car used from a dealer so they had no info to give me. Thanks

BlackMamba3

Established Member
The car has 12k miles on it. I def put 8qts in cause thats what I bought lol. The only difference is the weight of the oil. I went from 5/20 to 5/30 royal purple. there is a thread on this different oils in these cars and from what I got out of it was the 5/30 was better. Id like to get some more feeback before I spend another $80 on a oil change. I bought the car used from a dealer so they had no info to give me. Thanks

That's good oil to use.

With the car being used, something could have happened before you purchased the car. I know you said you only noticed the "tick" after you changed the oil but it's hard telling.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
So you're saying when I go to do my own oil change here in a couple weeks, I should throw some additive in aswell?

No, I was just saying that XL 17 is the additive that some of the dealers are adding to cars with the same symptons.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member

does it sound like this?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GXdyHN1-4"]2011 Mustang 5.0l engine tick - YouTube[/nomedia]

First oil change done by my dealer mobile 1 5w/20 @ 4K miles....no problems.
@ 8K miles i went in kwik kar and had the oil changed, not till i got home did i read my receipt to see where it said 5w/30, after all the success with this weight oil i figured no biggie. I didnt notice the noise till i drove through a drive through for food ( next to a wall). Went home and took this video. Next day i took it back to kwik car and told them what was up and had them change it to 5w/20. Behold no tick afterwards......

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
does it sound like this?

2011 Mustang 5.0l engine tick - YouTube

@ 8K miles i went in kwik kar and had the oil changed, not till i got home did i read my receipt to see where it said 5w/30, after all the success with this weight oil i figured no biggie. I didnt notice the noise till i drove through a drive through for food ( next to a wall). Went home and took this video. Next day i took it back to kwik car and told them what was up and had them change it to 5w/20. Behold no tick afterwards......

That's the "ignitor" tick. This is the first I've ever heard anyone claim it came because of 5w30, or went away after changing back to 5w20. I'm glad for you, but your results would not appear to be typical.

For some (including me), it went away with the additive (I'm not convinced it was XL-17), but came right back at next oil change. Only a new engine fixed it.

So, to the OP, if this is what you've got, get it to the dealer.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
That's good oil to use.

With the car being used, something could have happened before you purchased the car. I know you said you only noticed the "tick" after you changed the oil but it's hard telling.

:poke: The sound is distinct and nothing that would have gone missed prior. I have said it before, this type of noise is not valvetrain chatter. iT is significantly different and very audilbe.

OP, take it to a dealer.

Last edited:

SYMach9184

Established Member
does it sound like this?

2011 Mustang 5.0l engine tick - YouTube

Thats exactly when i noticed the noise, was when i was going thru the drive thru atm. This sucks, its always something with cars.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
My doesnt tick anymore, even after a new tune. Third change will be this week so hopefully that noise stays gone.

Users who are viewing this thread