Head tick question

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
Ok guys I have a question here. I just got back off of a mission and missed the appointment I had with the dealer to look at the head tick I think I have.
I brought up the hood and now it sounds like it is coming from both sides, like its injector noise. When you close the hood you can barely hear anything on the passenger side, and you can hear a faint tick from the drivers side, which coincides with what other owners have said.
I have my friggin Magnapacks sitting in my garage just waiting to be installed, but the dealer said dont even think about it if I want warranty work done. Plus I have to wait another whole week for the appointment to check out the noise.
Is the injector noise that much more obvious than injector noise? The devil on the left shoulder is telling me that its just injector noise and the angel on the right is telling me to have it checked out before I install the exhaust.
Help me out guys.
Any cobra owners feel free to elaborate too, since you are the main ones with the head problems.
Thanks guys

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Steve...

First I would say just be patient on the exhaust....easier said than done I know...I'm worse than anyone when it comes to that :rolleyes: but if it does need warranty work it will be worth waiting...

Second...I don't know of any of the Mach guys so far who have posted with the "tick"...it's all been Cobra guys...and they rarely read or post in the Mach forum...so if you haven't already done so I would post in the Terminator and/or California regional forum as well...

Most of what I remember reading on it...it wasn't that big a deal... a dealer fix...

If you have it checked by the dealer and they say it's nothing...later they can't blame your exhaust as you will have the situation documented prior to the exhaust install....

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
Thanks L.B I figured out of everyone you'd be the one egging me on to get it installed. But I guess your right. It just really pisses me off that the dealership is being a prick and telling me they would void my warranty for something as simple as exhaust, when other guys bring their cars in with every mod known to man and have no problems. To make things worse it's an SVT dealership too, you'd think they would be more understanding.
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the reply though.
I posted in the Cali forum too, so we'll see what pops up.
By the way how do you like your braided steel brake lines, I'm thinking of getting some of those myself.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
go get yourself a hollow pipe (pvc or metal) and press it against the vavle cover and put your ear on the other end. Then place it against the injectors. See if you can hear a difference. The injectors do make a lot of noise. I also haven't heard of any mach's with valve issues, but... always better safe then sorry.

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
By the way how do you like your braided steel brake lines, I'm thinking of getting some of those myself.
Love them...very positive pedal feel...plus now no worries about line expansion or something coming off the road and clipping them...they weren't very expensive either...great mod...:)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
hey steve i have some sort of tick as well. you can listen to it if you make it to sac sat. i have heard that it could be the head(but very unlikely), exaust ego(is this the exhaust recirculating tube?), nothing higher than 91oct in cali, or a couple of other reasons.
also some guy stated that when he replaced his his cats the tick went away. personally i think the factory cats due more harm than good.

hope to see you run in sactown steve. :beer:

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
Heh......:rollseyes
Well......that little devil on my shoulder got to me....
I called the dealership I actually bought the car from and asked what their stance on aftermarker parts is. They said that if the defective part has been modified in anyway and by diagnostic it's proven that the actual modification lead to the failure, than the warranty for that particular part is voided.
So I went and installed my exhaust:beer:
It took a little longer than expected. Those bolts on the x pipe/header connection were a biotch. Then after installation we checked for some leaks and found a few. Unfortunately my buddy torqed down the u-clamp bolts so friggin hard that he stripped out the threads and when we tried to get 'em off he snapped the stud off.:mj:
So I had to saw the clamp off while my buddy went and bought a few new clamps for me.
The sound is different. The x makes it so much more high pitched. The packs are just plain loud, but they sound good. From the inside the sound is so much more high pitched than the outside. I almost didn't like it at first, but once I got to hear my car from the outside and hear some video clips of it I was very pleased.
It has an awesome rumble to it. At idle you almost can't tell that an aftermarket system is on it. But once you open it up it gets LOUD. I definately feel a loss in low end torque, but up high it breathes a lot better and feels quicker. I don't like the low end loss but hey I guess you have to have a tradeoff huh?
Overall I'm very pleased with the sound. It's a lot more exotic but very muscular. It's so much meaner than stock, and my girlfriend said when she was driving right behind me she could feel HER car vibrate. Now that's cool.
Thanks for the recommend L.B and Dave
Now lets see whats next....springs...shocks...struts...water pump brake lines...gears....cobra rocker panels....php cold air kit.....the list goes on.

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
Now lets see whats next....springs...shocks...struts...water pump brake lines...gears....cobra rocker panels....php cold air kit.....the list goes on.
It really never ends...:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread