Head Tick Q's

03Cobra1969

Established Member
Damn, Dave that sucks. FWIW, I had a slight tick that was temperature sensitive as well. I had heard the other videos of the "loud almost sounds like the bottom end is going to let loose" tick - and mine wasn't near that noisy - so I decided just to install my head cooling mod, flush the coolant, and lower the fan - on temp in my tune before I gave in and bought new heads. -- No more ticking on mine since.

Good luck

Last edited:

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
No it doesnt seem to get much louder, stays the same for the most part. Maybe a lil bit louder. The video seems to work not sure if something is up there. As for the lifters im not exactly sure what your talking about because to my knowledge all there is, is a follower, cam and valve. Also i didnt think you could just replace the guide, thought you had to replace the whole head. As for going to a 5w-30 that could be bad on your bearings but then again whats it matter once warranty is out the window not much Ford can say. Ive just been told the tolerances are too tight on the newer Ford motors to run a thicker oil.

Juruense

Banned
As for going to a 5w-30 that could be bad on your bearings but then again whats it matter once warranty is out the window not much Ford can say. Ive just been told the tolerances are too tight on the newer Ford motors to run a thicker oil.

5W-30 will be fine man...

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
No it doesnt seem to get much louder, stays the same for the most part. Maybe a lil bit louder. The video seems to work not sure if something is up there. As for the lifters im not exactly sure what your talking about because to my knowledge all there is, is a follower, cam and valve. Also i didnt think you could just replace the guide, thought you had to replace the whole head. As for going to a 5w-30 that could be bad on your bearings but then again whats it matter once warranty is out the window not much Ford can say. Ive just been told the tolerances are too tight on the newer Ford motors to run a thicker oil.

so what does the follower sit on? i was under the impression that is the lifter.......the other side of the follower hits the valve. is that right?

there have been many cases of people getting new valve guides and it fixes the problem. look up the tick on cobrabobs website, you can read all about worn valve guides. just turns out mine were not bad, it is another component in the valvetrain.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea the other side of the follower sits right on the valve. The other piece I think you are talking about is what Ford calls the hydrualic lash adjuster...... I believe thats what your talking about. Not sure what else your car could be making noise from in the head if its not the valve guide, or follower, maybe a cam bearing but I doubt it. Id get that valve guide rechecked. If it would have been a tensioner you would have heard it more in the front of the motor and not so much under the car.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
hmmm. well this guy was apparently a really great engine builder..but who knows....maybe he skimped out on some work? i need to find someone who realy knows their modular motors to hear it and figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing.

so ur saying it COULD NOT be a lash adjuster?

Users who are viewing this thread