Head swap

Twystyd

Established Member
Ok I need some info from the ones of you that have done a stock for stock head swap on a 03-04 mach 1. How hard is it? What kind of specialty tools would I need? Ballpark time frame? I am an industrial mechanic by trade so I know my way around tools and engines though I've never pulled heads before. My valve seals are most likely shot and I want to pick up a set of stock heads and just swap them instead of having mine redone right now. If anyone has any information that could help me out I would appreciate it. Or if your local to metro Detroit I could use a hand too. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on AT&T using Tapatalk 2.

Twystyd

Established Member
I found a writeup on it after hours of searching. The motor doesn't have to come out at all. Neither do the heads if I just replace the valve stem seals. It's just one problem after another with my Mach. I should have just waited another year and bought a mysticchrome like I wanted. Oh well, lesson learned. Hopefully after I fix the seals and the transmission I'll be good to go and can continue modding instead of repairing. If something else goes wrong this year look for my Mach for sale cheap.

GRFox

Established Member
are Mach 1s prone to mechanical issues? I figured they were pretty solid being they essentially an NA cobra motor. I am considering buying one soon so help me out if there is something I don't know about.....

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Our mach 1 is great no issues takes a beating if I hadn't found my 03 cobra so cheap we would've had two machs

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Twystyd

Established Member
The only issue that's common is the TR3650 trans. The syncros are crap in them. There is also a head ticking sound but I haven't heard of it being an issue other than faint noise. It's just time for new valve stem seals on mine. It just seems like all the normal things that get replaced are hitting me all at once and it's getting old. I want to mod, not constantly be performing maintenance. I ordered new pads and rotors only to find the jack wagon that had it before me did the GT front brake swap so now I have to get Mach/Cobra calipers just to change my pads/rotors.

4v_mach1

Established Member
are Mach 1s prone to mechanical issues? I figured they were pretty solid being they essentially an NA cobra motor. I am considering buying one soon so help me out if there is something I don't know about.....

They're great cars, but every car has its little flaws. I suggest a 04 if you plan on purchasing one.

Users who are viewing this thread