head gasket?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Think it's possibe to start a turbo car and blow a headgasket. I pull the plug out to fill the engine coolant up for no air pockets and it's pumping out the hole. Has to be compression in the water flow. Is that possible?

TRBO VNM

not sure I understand the question or problem.

is this your car? if so, I assume you need the crossover tube plug. you pulled that out to fill it. so it is coming out of the crossover tube? that is normal if it is filled up. explain a little more if you can.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
no...it's an 06. Car has white smoke. First assumption would be oil drain back but this is a single turbo and it's raised high. Drainback shouldn't be an issue. It's steam. The new style cars have crossover tubes similar to our cobras. I removed that and started the car to make sure it's full and it's like a geyser. Bubbling and blowing out all over the place. The kit was on...buttoned up and started. NOTHING ELSE. Single 76 on a 3 valve car. There is no bubbling in the over flow reservoir to the radiator and no water in the oil. I knew this thing wouldn't last long but COME ONN. HA.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
water is SUPPOSED to come out when you remove the burp plug. the water pump is positive dispacement and the burp plug is on the same side of the thermostat as the water pump.

shooting out like a geyser is normal. its trying to build pressure.

have the crankcase oil or the coolant tested. test the oil for antifreeze and the coolant for hydrocarbons from the exhaust gasses.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
how do i explain the white smoke pouring out the back. There is no water in the oil, and there is no oil in the coolant as i can see so far. The oil has about 1 mile on it so it's perfectly clean. If i had coolant seeping in then i'd have a milkshake. I don't have any experience with these 3 valve cars and i know my 98 cobra didn't have the coolant flying everywhere issue and i'm not sure of my 03. I'm hoping this isn't a head gasket issue. I find it impossible to have blown the head gasket on this car with a idle and some NON BOOSTED rev's to about 3,000. I'm going to finish everything up and get it over to the dyno and get it running right and see if it clears up.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
any cobra will spew coolant out the burp plug if you start the car with it open. thats normal. its trying to build 15+psi.

white smoke out the back sure sounds like a head gasket. got a wet spark plug or two?

if exhaust was getting into the coolant a test would show it but you might not otherwise be able to tell.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
ShelbyGuy said:
any cobra will spew coolant out the burp plug if you start the car with it open. thats normal. its trying to build 15+psi.
Could it be the power of that crazy water pump?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I'm not sure if you read, this isn't my cobra i'm talking about. This is a 06 gt 3 valve car with a 76mm single turbo. Motor has 5600 miles and no miles on turbo setup. Just started, idled and some revs to check for leaks.

TRBO VNM

0mineralgrey3 said:
I'm not sure if you read, this isn't my cobra i'm talking about. This is a 06 gt 3 valve car with a 76mm single turbo. Motor has 5600 miles and no miles on turbo setup. Just started, idled and some revs to check for leaks.

I am going to send this to jon and see what he might think. he has some experience with 05's.

Black405HP

Established Member
VIPER D said:
that could be b/c of the turbo seals breaking in or just broken

vd..

Getting right on the money there... This sounds like a problem of having a drainage issue out of the turbo oil return line. The oil will get built up in the line of the inlet of the oil line. Pressure will build until it simply starts to blow the oil past the seales of the turbo. The oil burns on any hot part of the turbo and you will get that white smoke.

Louis

Users who are viewing this thread