Is this cobra's head gasket toast?

• Time to visit your favorite machine shop.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

popstar

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum is an invaluable tool in my quest for maintenance and performance upgrades.

Back into mustangs after a 10 year break. Previously had a 1997 4.6 2V.

My new to me 1997 Cobra was "tracked by an old man” according to the broker I bought it from. 2 previous total owners, 89K miles. The car had CA plates and a willow springs raceway license plate frame, so I can assume thats where it was tracked, it also has 4 point racing seat belts. It has 4.10 gears (with no speedo correction) and there is evidence of a previous fuel system install (holes drilled into the spare tire area facing the axle). Bilstein yellows, lowered on unknown springs, drilled and slotted rotors, real 95 Cobra R rims, full length welded subframe connectors and a panhard bar. The car runs borlas with dumps before the axle, so I'm thinking either he had a larger fuel tank in place of stock, or ran the fuel cell mounted in the trunk, and I was told the ECU had a tune.

Bought the car in Las Vegas, and on the way back home (phx), It was running hotter than I was comfortable, pegged on the L of “normal” with the heat on max the whole time. Lucky it was freezing outside so the drive was bearable.

The cooling system definitely has air in it. I will try to burp the system tomorrow to see if it will run cooler. I will also check the engine vin plate to see if its an original engine.

Now on to the fun stuff…

I did a compression test yesterday since I became paranoid that I might have a head gasket issue. I read on the forums that the stock multi layer steel (MLS) head gaskets were pretty robust so they were commonly not a problem but better safe than sorry.

I did the compression test dry with the engine cold.

4 - 200 psi 8 - 175 psi
3 - 200 psi 7 - 160 psi
2 - 195 psi 6 - 150 psi
1 - 200 psi 5 - 175 psi

Is the 150 and 160 a massive concern? I will also go talk to a mustang mechanic I know from when I used to have my 2v and see what he thinks.
The engine is 100% stock as it sits.. Original wires and plugs also AFAIK.

The difference in cylinder pressure seems not good, but also not catastrophic (I hope). No smoke on start up or revs and runs and idles smoothly. No codes present. I’ve only driven a cobra once before so I don’t have any experience with the seat of the pants feeling as to how they should “feel” especially with the 4.10s.
I wanted to use this car as a gentle daily once I sorted out the cooling. Is this advisable?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

Chip Schweiss

Established Member
Unless you're getting lots of blow-by or coolant in your oil, it is definitely not the head gasket.

I'd call that marginal unless it's okay warm.

Get it warm and test #6 and #7 again. If they are still low there's some reason for concern. Otherwise your golden.

It ultimately comes down to if it's good enough for you to live with. That level of compression loss will rob just a few horsepower and a small bit of fuel economy.

You can determine if it's the rings or valve by squirting a little oil in the cylinder and testing again. If compression improves it's the rings. If it stays the same, it's the valves.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
With the fact that one bank is so far off honestly I'd give the cam timing a look. It would be weird for one side of the engine to be so uniformly down on compression.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I went thru something like this.

I had head issues earlier on.

But after last repair at 210k I started to see heat issues

100k more it got to where it was blowing coolant.

My radiator was the issue.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
For sure change the coolant and Thermostat, and than burp it like you mentioned you're going to. Also change the oil and really look at it to see if you see anything odd, as you do when draining the Coolant.

Like hotcobra said, a new radiatior is not a bad idea. Especially being in Arizona as it shows you are. Keep driving it and see what happens. I don't think your head is blown.

Keep us posted on the process. Hows the smoke out the tailpipes look?

By the way...... welcome... and welcome back to mustang ownership!

Post some pics of your car!!!

popstar

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and replies! My apologies for not responding sooner, I've been down with the flu. I'll post pics once I am feeling better and get a chance to take some.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Three tests that can help you definitively determine if there is a blown head gasket and/or locate the cause of your issue: cooling system pressure test, engine block test and/or leak-down test. These will give you much more useful information than a compression test.

popstar

Thank you, I will perform these tests in the coming week.
What about the test where you check for exhaust gasses in the coolant? If so, is this best done through the crossover or overflow tank?

Still working on getting some decent pics, as of now the clearcoat is faded and neglected. Will definitely post some good pics once I take them.

Also on another note, the car is lowered on unknown springs... I'm looking for stock springs from 96-98 cobras... are the spring rates the same for the coupes vs the convertibles? (I know that on terminators the convertible has softer springs, was wondering if anyone knew on the 96-98 cobras?)

Thank you all for posting and helping to point me in the right direction :):)

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Convertibles use different springs than coupes. I have a set of stock springs in my garage. I'm in Albuquerque, you can have them if you can find a way to pick them up.

popstar

Convertibles use different springs than coupes. I have a set of stock springs in my garage. I'm in Albuquerque, you can have them if you can find a way to pick them up.

That's good to know. Thank you for the offer. I have a coupe, are your springs from a coupe?

dkblue98gt

Established Member
They are from my 97 vert. They were on it when I got it, looked like a 4X4. I have H&R Supersports now.

popstar

Update:
I performed a coolant pressure test: pumped overflow tank to 15psi and no pressure lost over 1 hr... So that is good.
More cause for concern I also performed a leak down test. I did't bother with 1-4 since compression was good. I did it cold. Here are the results for 5-8:
Cylinder 5
70 psi at 100psi
30% Leaks out of 6 slightly
Cylinder 6
50 psi at 100
50% Leaks out of 7 a lot
Cylinder 7
65psi at 100
35% Leaks out of 8 a bit (could't tell if it was leaking out of 6)
Cylinder 8
88psi at 100
12% Leaks out of 7 slightly

I think something is definitely going on with my head. My suspicion is that the engine was overheated severely causing a warped head. No smoke on start up, coolant pressure is good, and no coolant in oil, or blow by.

I changed the oil (was super dirty and only 5 quarts, tranny fluid (looked good but my throwout bearing is on its last legs), cleaned MAF and throttle body (super dirty). IMRC cleaning coming soon...
Also, checked water pump: does not leak and bearings seem fairly tight for an original part.
Will instal a new larger full aluminum radiator tomorrow and perform heater core and coolant flush.

I'll report my findings after radiator instal.
I got this car for a daily and given the head situation can I still daily it? Still didn't get around to taking proper pics, But here is a quick one I snapped in my garage.
Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
IMG_0090.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread