Head Gasket Thickness Question

Strable781

Established Member
Motor is getting built this winter. Previously, I had the heads refreshed at the machine shop when I had it apart last. One head was decked .005" and the other .007" if i remember correctly. Was running stock cams, had no issues. The car will now have .020" over 6cc dish 9.6:1 pistons and comp cams 106400s. Since the heads were just recently refreshed, they wont be going back to the machine shop. I'm wondering what I should do to go about ordering the correct thickness head gaskets. From prior posts and research, people who ran stock cams with decked heads similar to mine have been fine with running stock head gaskets, stock thickness. But since ill be running cams, I'm unsure how to go about making sure I get the right gaskets to ensure adequate piston/valve clearance, equal compression, etc. Also, assuming that, at this time, the block wont need to be decked maybe more than .005" or at all. Any insight would help as to how to go about ordering correct head gaskets. Thanks.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My block was decked twice, heads once, and my machine shop recommended 0.040” thick gaskets, I ran them for a few years and last time I went with 0.030” gaskets for a tiny bit more CR. Not sure it would actually do much or not. That is compressed thickness too, not before. I’m running Cometic MLS gaskets C5118-040. Remember there are different part numbers for each side.

I’m running -5.22 pistons with reliefs, custom cams and I have no issues. My pistons are proud by 0.005”. I did check PTV clearances when timing the motor (degreeing cams) and it was plenty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread