Head Gasket - Thermostat - or What?

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Starting a new thread, although I did post over here:http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509987

Engine just overheated. Did not involve a 5-6th gear pull or burnouts or any other hard driving.

I was driving on the highway w/ AC on, accelerating from a stop at a highway traffic light, and when I went into third gear under normal acceleration (1/2-3/4 throttle), the car fell on its face (im like WTF?), I continue on and then I notice steam rising from under the hood. I pull over; coolant spraying everywhere underhood. Cooled down, rolled home in 2nd, no unusual noise coming from underhood. I was thinking blown thermostat - i.e. never opened.

As an aside, I have been having a problem w/ my wiper relay/fuses, wipers will not work on delay mode, but will work in low and high. Perhaps my water pump shorted out?

Any other likely candidates?

My mods are in the sig - 2.8 upper; aftermarket HE, head cooling mod is not yet installed (but I have it).

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Does your fans turn on? That will definately cause an issue. Hopefully you didn't hurt the motor seeing as you had coolant all over the place :(

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt you'll need a schematic, just check your fuses and if it is popped your fan is probably done. A lot of people are losing fans this summer :(

And these cars do not have electric water pumps, not sure how that rumor got started.

Only one way to find out if its the t-stat. Remove and boil. I advise you replace as many Ford clamps as possible. Also, I'm sure you know the drill, refill and burp system properly.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
The fan fuse is one of the bigger t ype fuses under the hood..its under a small box on the drivers side. I forget what its called, but I think its in the #1 position....but if it's not spinning freely, then I guess that is definately your issue. I would still check the fuse though to be safe.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Check out the fan. Should turn freely with car off.
Also check fuses to it with volt meter.

Fan does not turn "freely". It will move, but will not continue to rotate after I stop pushing.

Is the fan and motor a one piece assembly?

Fan's toast.

Tousley Ford: 800-328-9552 ask for Steve Powell

Yeah, I know Steve (too well). New fan assembly Ordered!

Problem solved with new fan and new thermostat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread