head gasket or coolant tank?

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
1999 cobra vortech v1 supercharged and intercooled with 11lbs of boost ...car does not overheat but sometimes when i drive i can see coolant near the expantion tank's cap and it boils when you open the cap....i replaced the cap with a ford oem and still no help it still does it. I also did a block test and according to the test i dont have any headgasket issues. my oil is perfect, my spark plugs are fine, there is no sluge on my oil cap, and i do not see smoke out of my exhaust.

ideas guys car has over heated 3 times before but for different reasons could that have warped the coolant tank or damage the radiator? :shrug: i already burped the system several times.

thank you for all the help svtp

Last edited:

2000 gt

Established Member
Too much coolant in the reservoir. Happened.to me. A while ago. It should stop after u suck some coolant out. The level shouldnt be at the tip top when the car is cold. When the car gets hot coolant needa a place to go. and expand

01yellercobra

Established Member
My understanding is once an engine over heats the reservoir will warp and never seal correctly again. You'll have to replace it. Personally I would replace it with a metal tank. I have a Canton that uses a standard radiator cap. You might also want to consider replacing the thermostat if you haven't done that yet.

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys yea I forgot to mention I replaced the stat

Also my coolant light is on all the time some times it goes away then it comes back .....what's a good way to remove coolant without getting air in the system

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys yea I forgot to mention I replaced the stat

Also my coolant light is on all the time some times it goes away then it comes back .....what's a good way to remove coolant without getting air in the system

Remove coolant from the tank. It's a pressurized part of the system.

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
Problem fixed guys when I got the new cap I didn't bleed the system I burped the system with the new cap and it's been 3 days soo far soo good :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread