Head Gasket leak

04sonicL

Established Member
Well, service engine soon light came on about a week ago. Hooked up my tuner and got codes P0171&P0174 (lean). Took it to Ford to have checked out and mechanic came out and said bad news, head gasket leak bout $1,200 to fix. Is this a likely cause for those codes? I'd hate to think that they would try to skrew me, but you never know. Only option I guess would be to take it to a dif dealership and see if the diagnose the same. Of course will have to pay another $100 to have them look which I'd obviously rather not do. I have a 04 that just hit 94,000 mile, first issue ive had.

CBailey

Established Member
A lean code on both banks is indicative of a lean fuel mixture, and can be caused by several common things,
1) A clogged fuel filter
2) A dirty Mass Airflow Sensor
3) A vacuum leak

If the fuel filter has not been changed recently, change it. This should be a regular part of your service, and should be done yearly.

It is simple to clean the MAF sensor, auto parts stores carry a spray for this.

Lightnings are notorious for vacuum leaks. You can do a search for how to find a vacuum leak.

If you know how to use your handheld, you can troubleshoot using it.

Here is a good link to read: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_lean_codes.htm

I would definitely try these things before resorting to removing one or both heads.

04sonicL

Established Member
That's what I thought. So, are they trying to shaft me or is it possible that I have both issues going on? The mechanic did not seem thrilled about having to take the motor apart.

04sonicL

Established Member
Trying to remember exactly I was taken back thinking it was gonna be a simple hose or something. I believe he said the fuel pressure was dropping pretty bad.

04sonicL

Established Member
Got my truck back yesterday. Drove it this morning and it builds boost faster without a doubt. Is it possible that whatever leak I had was causing me to lose boost psi? I don't get on it very often, but seems to be running better.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
As Mentioned, the lean codes are not from a head gasket issue. What testing did they do to determine that your head gaskets were failing? The only true test is a hydrocarbon test of the cooling system.

A leak post S/C would reduce a cry slight amount of boost. Basically, nothing substantial enough to make you notice more power in your ass-o-meter.

Users who are viewing this thread