Head gasket and cam questions

Greymare

Established Member
Hello all,

I got a head gasket that is leaks under full boost. The car rides and drives fine but as soon as you put it under heavy boost it breaks up bad. I want to put new head gaskets on it but I am not sure what I should buy. I am making 26# and spraying 75 shot. Any suggestions? I also want to put head studs in the engine while I have it out. Anyone have a part number for the ARP head stud kit?

I also may have enough extra cash to put Cams in the car. I don't want any extra HP just the sound at idle. Anyone know what cams I should go with?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I would call around and get a cam best for your application. If all you want is chop then stg 3 or 4 cams from most major companys will give you that, but you will hurt your power. You can get a balance of sound and performance by getting either a custom ground cam or one thats off the shelf and right for your mods. You will have to upgrade your valve train to handle a choppy cam also with some better springs. I went with the felpro head gaskets and havent had a issue. There are a few options to pick from. Head studs are a must especially at that boost level. These are the ones i used.
ARP 2000 Series Cylinder Head Stud Kit - Hardware - Engine - 03-04 SVT Cobra

GodStang

Established Member
A custom cam is always best and usually not much more than an OTS cam. Also depends how wild you want to go with a cam. You want near stock than the 96-98 intake cams are very nice. If you want wild OTS there is Crower or Comp cams plus others.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
How do you know that your breaking up under heavy boost is due to a bad head gasket? Its very very very rare for these engines to have headgasket problems

Cobra03SC

Established Member
How do you know that your breaking up under heavy boost is due to a bad head gasket? Its very very very rare for these engines to have headgasket problems

@ 26 lbs and a 75 shot on stock head bolts i wouldn't be surprised if he lifted the head.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
@ 26 lbs and a 75 shot on stock head bolts i wouldn't be surprised if he lifted the head.

Doubtful. It takes alot to get these heads to lift. Like I said its very rare to have headgasket problems on these cars. I have multiple 03-04 Cobras that have been living for years on 26-29psi on stock untouched motors.

If anything. I would bet if you tore down that motor you will see some pistons melted/starting to melt or soon to be broken ringlands if they are not already with a setup like that.

Id love to see what the compression test looks like on that motor.

Users who are viewing this thread