Head Cooling Mod

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
Hey guys about to purchase a head cooling mod, just asking aroung which one is best to buy and how difficult is it to put on with the engine still in. is it easier w/the blower off? W/ the tranny down? Just looking for some advice. And I do have access to a lift so just so helpful hints. Thanks for in input.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i just talked to my mechanic about this (LDC head cooling mod) and to quote his words.."Its a BITCH to do..but you NEED it"

Apparantly labor costs about the same as a clutch install because he has to pull the transmission and basically all the same parts as if it was a clutch replacement. He stressed that with pullied Eatons reallly need it for insurance on the engine life. It is on my list of To-do's and i will probably have that installed with a H/E and IC res to knock out all of my cooling mods at the same time.

He explained that he had to drill a hole in the back of the engine in a location that was nearly impossible to get to hence a PITA to complete...after that advice, i decided to not even mess with it myself lol

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
Thanks for input, the lift I'd be using is a local shop here in town call Midwest Mustangs and we deal with Arc Angel Motorsports that does all Ford performance. So for Experience issues I'd be covered I just didn't know if I should let them do it or it's something that can be easily done. Thank you for the input.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
i just talked to my mechanic about this (LDC head cooling mod) and to quote his words.."Its a BITCH to do..but you NEED it"

Apparantly labor costs about the same as a clutch install because he has to pull the transmission and basically all the same parts as if it was a clutch replacement. He stressed that with pullied Eatons reallly need it for insurance on the engine life. It is on my list of To-do's and i will probably have that installed with a H/E and IC res to knock out all of my cooling mods at the same time.

He explained that he had to drill a hole in the back of the engine in a location that was nearly impossible to get to hence a PITA to complete...after that advice, i decided to not even mess with it myself lol
haha by the bitch to do he was referring to my car. He found out you have to wait for the silicon to dry. :)

12secgt

Established Member
It's not that hard. I did mine with out pulling the blower in a couple of hours. I do have the GenII kit. No holes to drill just get the freeze plug out and it bolts right in.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
haha by the bitch to do he was referring to my car. He found out you have to wait for the silicon to dry. :)

LOL anytime he mentions something was a PITA to do on a terminator... i immediately picture you guys struggling through it all on your ride. LOL Thanks! :beer:

hey btw, did your stock eaton have a stieg port? if so what stage?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not that hard. I did mine with out pulling the blower in a couple of hours. I do have the GenII kit. No holes to drill just get the freeze plug out and it bolts right in.

Did you leave the tranny in as well? Just go down the back of it in the engine bay, or what?

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
LOL anytime he mentions something was a PITA to do on a terminator... i immediately picture you guys struggling through it all on your ride. LOL Thanks! :beer:

hey btw, did your stock eaton have a stieg port? if so what stage?

Nope. stock eaton w/ a 2.8 upper. Pulled hard, like there was no tomorrow.

ssp.vortech

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 2003 Sonic Cobra and just learned that this mod is a top o' list of things to do, thanks to this site!

Have either of you looked into the APS/Invictus Head Cooling Mod?
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/invictus_cooling_mod.htm

Is it required to drill the head?, or is it a direct bolt on? I was going to go with the "Style 1", which requires the transmission removal. I've been trying to research this topic further, so that I can make a better informed decision. Is the LDC a better option? I'm planning to do this myself, as I don't have a mechanic to rely on. Feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

daydark

Established Member
Err, I just did the EvenFlow Gen2 head cooling mod. The only hard thing was removing the freeze out plug.

I simply removed the blower, removed the freeze out plug, and routed the hose. No need to touch the transmission. Here is a step by step video I made for removing the blower: http://vimeo.com/2011187

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
I got my tuner shop to do it. They just had to remove the EGR nest temporarily and get the freeze plug out.

I have the APS head cooling mod and it fits perfectly!

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I have the evenflow gen II. it isn't too bad. If you want something you can do yourself and doesn't involve removing a ton, go with the evenflow. I'm going to try and make a "how to" here soon. It's just going to have stupid things that make it go faster.....

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I have the evenflow gen II. it isn't too bad. If you want something you can do yourself and doesn't involve removing a ton, go with the evenflow. I'm going to try and make a "how to" here soon. It's just going to have stupid things that make it go faster.....

Looking forward to it :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread