Head change

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: Engine comes out next week for new heads installation. Blew a plug on the passenger-side with ugly results on the plug-hole threads and shoulder, (Time-sert not feasible) and while that head is being replaced, seemed a good idea to bring both up to date. Car was born 8/02 and no problems todate, but, with 20,000 miles, who knows what's going on in 7/8 cylinders?

Question: With new heads/valves/guides, will there be reason to dyno/tune again? Car was dyno/tuned about 6 months ago (A/F at 11.5 down to 11.0).
If the answer is YES, I would like to get some miles on the new units before retuning. Any risk there?

Would appreciate any advice.

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: $4,500 for the new heads installed. I see very good prices quoted on this site for new heads, but I am not upto the DIY task. Anyway,by the time you add tax, shipping, new gaskets, bolts, etc, add the labor (12 month warranty) and figure in the advantage of using a friendly local dealer.....I took a deep breath and made the decision.

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
Eiblish my man, I feel ya on this one. I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me with my 03 Vert. It only has 9k miles on it. I, like you, decided to not do the timesert fix and buy new heads off of the dealer on this site. Your pricing at 4500 is right on the money, as my headswap was quoted at 4650 complete. Now, with that said, last night we pulled the motor to swap the heads and after pulling the heads we discovered that the #4 cylinder (the one the spark plug was ejected from) was full of metal from the cylinder head and the piston was damaged. I have a feeling that the previous owner didn't have the right tune, which added to the issue and could have caused the whole problem to begin with. I hope that you don't have this same problem. I was advised that a tune is needed after swapping the heads.

Users who are viewing this thread