Head Cam Intake Setups

03SonicBlur

Established Member
Ok guys,

I have a buddy that is looking into doing a H,C,I install on his 1994 GT, so figured I would throw this on here for some feedback. Basically needing to know what cam you guys recommend that has a lumpy/decent idle, as well as some info on trick flow top end kits or just buying each part individually?

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
xe274hr comp cam (I've got it and it idle's/lopes great) or Trick flow stage 2 cam, 185 AFR heads, and an Edelbrock RPM 2 intake. That will make decent horsepower. AFR 165 heads are a little better for a stock displacement 302's, as are the 170 trick flow heads.

The trick flow top end kits make really good power, and you can hit 12's easy with the stock bottom end. Makes even more power if you go with the FAC 185 Trick flow heads.

The RPM 2 or Holley Systemax intake are going to be your 2 top intake choices.

Now if you really want a badass setup:

Victor Jr/ Trick flow R intake, ported/polished Vic Jr heads, and a custom cam. Will need to notch the pistons.

Victor Jr/ Trick flow R intake, AFR 205 heads, and a custom cam. Will need to notch the pistons.

Victor Jr/ Trick flow R intake, Trick flow 190/205 heads, and a custom cam. Will need matching pistons for the offset valve placement.

Ultimately bigger is better, and 302 parts make 302 power. The key to making big heads and intakes to work is getting a cam specifically matched to the heads and intake so that you will have usable horsepower in the right rpm range.

Personally I think the trick flow heads are the best. However the Victor Jr edelbrock heads are really good if you are looking to save a little money. Ported and polished they are really hard to beat for the price.

Last edited:

jwt390030

Established Member
Not trying to get off topic. He should also consider an on3 turbo kit and forget all of the other mods. Just food for thought. Same power without spending as much on parts and install. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread