head and cam suggestions with the logan motorsports intake and spray

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Recently stepped into the mustang world and picked up a 01 gt that has the following mods-JLT CAI,Logan motorsports intake,MAC udp,aeromotive fuel rails,big fuel pump,trick flow valve covers,cat back exhaust,4.10,strange adjustable shocks,built tranny with 3200 stall,diablo chip,upper and lowers,sub frame connectors,accufab throttle body(not sure on the size). Near future mods are longtubes,msd coils,lil bigger injectors,livewire tuned by bama and 100-150 shot a spray. My question is I know I need heads and cams to really get the full benefit from the Logan intake but give me your opiouns on which cams and heads to get ? My goal is to make around 450-500 HP and stay n/a but be able to drive it on the street with a/c and all. It will see occasional track time but mostly every now and then street racing .

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
You must get long tubes to get the full power out of a heads and cam setup.

You don't need bigger injectors if its the last 01 as late 01-04 has 22# injectors and should be able to feed a n/a 2v. With a setup of Trick Flow heads and cams depending on your goal along with a 150shot I don't see getting close to 500hp as being a problem.

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Yeah I been leaning towards the trick flow heads. And you really think the stock 22# objectors will be sufficient enough ? I've been lurking on a few forums for a month or so since I got the car and I've seen quite a few post where people has told other people to upgrade their injectors for less HP than I'm trying to make. Not doubting you but any more detailed reason why you say what you did.?

spike_africa

Established Member
Its a toss up honestly. You see cars with the pink tops that push in the 350rwhp rang no problem. And sometimes you see cars that can't handle it and need 30# injectors.

TrickFlow heads are your best bet hands down right now for a 2v car. That and a decent set of cams and you will make great power.

just an FYi the stock bottom end in our cars is only good for low 400rwhp range. Anything more then 420rwhp and things start not to work out well with the stock pistons/rods.

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Thanks man. I plan on finding a good donor engine or a short block to start working on building while I stack more parts and such. I know after I get good heads and cams it wouldn't last too long with my heavy foot and spraying too.

Mike@TF

Established Member
to get the full use of the intake you need boost or high compression and at least 7k rpms....that intake on a stock motor will not see enough rpm to make the intake acutally useable..

also no need for bigger injectors...
keep the stock coils..
you will need to go with a dyno tune not a mail order tune for your setup with heads and cams and that intake..
also look intake a bigger converter..for a n/a or nitrous setup your converter is acutally really small go at least a 3800 and it will make a world of a difference..

and bottom end is goos to over 420rwhp just fine.... good luck.any questions feel free to pm me..

Mike@TF

Established Member
good deal... my gt has a logan and i know keith(owner of logan) so can point you in right direction...

you could do some stage 3 n/a cams and hit it with a 150 shot at least..with a good tune you will be just fine...i used to spray up to a 200 on my stock bottom end gt with stock heads and custom nitrous cams....lasted just fine...my tune was on spot though... and safe..

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Good deal. I'm the only one around these parts with the Logan so nobody realy knows anything about it. It looks way too good to take it off so I gotta make it run right with it. There are a couple stings around here running good but it ain't gone take much for me to pass them up. One has every bolt on you can get without spray and gears(not worried about him at all) and the other is my cousin who's running around high 10.'s low 11's. Thay who I'm cunning for. Oh and a few guys have camaro ss running mid 10's .

Mike@TF

Established Member
not going to see mid 10s on nitrous with the stock motor and full interior.....

with a decent suspension setup and some cams and the bottle you can dip to low 11s...

what part of la are you in... im right here in beaumont,tx so la is 20mins away lol

and i know alot of heavy hitter stangs out there..

Mike@TF

Established Member
Whats the fastest someone has gone. It was what a 10.9 with a vortec kit and lots of suspension mods and weight.

i know of a few guys with c4s, a lil weight reduction,blower cams,vortech and a bout 11-12lbs that run mid 10s on the stock motors..

i went 11.30s full interior,a lil suspension,auto with 4.10s,3500 pi stall,custom nitrous cams,and 150 shot on a very very safe tune...if we would have did a lil more aggressive tune i know i could have dipped to an 11.0

was going go for high to mid 10s with stock motor,turbo cams,and a turbo....but while i was doing that i decided to sell the stock motor and doing a built motor now,trickflow ported heads,logan intake,comp turbo billet wheel 76mm,and built 4r70w..with 10:1 compression...car should roll out pretty hard..

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
i know of a few guys with c4s, a lil weight reduction,blower cams,vortech and a bout 11-12lbs that run mid 10s on the stock motors..

i went 11.30s full interior,a lil suspension,auto with 4.10s,3500 pi stall,custom nitrous cams,and 150 shot on a very very safe tune...if we would have did a lil more aggressive tune i know i could have dipped to an 11.0

was going go for high to mid 10s with stock motor,turbo cams,and a turbo....but while i was doing that i decided to sell the stock motor and doing a built motor now,trickflow ported heads,logan intake,comp turbo billet wheel 76mm,and built 4r70w..with 10:1 compression...car should roll out pretty hard..

Well have you ever ran it with the new setup ?

Mike@TF

Established Member
nope not done yet...car should be done in a month or soo...shooting for hopefully 800+ thru the auto which is should do....

hey i have some ported fox lake heads for sale...also a stroker shortblock...shoot me a pm if your interested..

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
I was actually about ready to buy some but we got word last night that part of our mill was shutting down and there's rumors of another part going down within the next few months. So my project is getting slowed down right now. Gotta watch out for the family first ya know.

Users who are viewing this thread