HE fluid ratio - hot climate recommendations

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Guys: I am putting on my Steeda HE tomorrow. Much appreciate the helpful suggestions for the install. I am curious what you guys would recommend for the coolant to water ratio for a hot weather only GT500 (2011). I am 100% positive my GT500 will not see freezing cold weather while in my ownership. I live in Tucson Arizona and I check the weather before I drive it anywhere. Never even seen rain in my ownership, let alone freezing temps - stored in my garage when not in use.

So, I am not worried about freeze protection for the HE (or the radiator). I bought Amsoil antifreeze coolant, and not sure what ratio to use in my hot climate environment.

Recommendations, especially before noon tomorrow Mountain Time, GREATLY appreciated.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I wouldn't even use coolant then, just distilled water and coolant boost. The coolant is for freeze protection only and the water/boost mix will keep the car cooler than having coolant mixed in.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hmmmm, I always wondered about that since I'm in the same situation.
So what is exactly a coolant boost? is it something like water wetter?

barspen

Established Member
Recommendations, especially before noon tomorrow Mountain Time, GREATLY appreciated.

Hey Doc

Running about 70/30 in Phoenix. As long as I don't take any overnight trips to Flagstaff or Pinetop in the winter (rare), I keep it that way year round. Always easy to siphon or drain some out and add straight anti-freeze if needed. You can use a hydrometer to test. Recommend using spring water from the store...not de-ionized or tap H2O.

Dynobrat

Established Member
I think you are over thinking the whole idea. I would not run straight water but you can do whatever gives you the warm and fuzzy. Sure straight water will cool better but there are also benefits to running a 50/50 mix. Rust/corrosion inhibitors (important if not being driven for any length), raised boiling temp and lubrication. Whether or not any of those three come to matter I have no idea but I would run 36-50 coolant to water and be content. It will not in any way hinder cooling or performance by using it. To think you are giving yourself an edge using only water would be foolish.

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Ha, interesting replies! I had not thought about the lubrication function of the coolant. One question on the Spring Water suggestion, I am really surprised by that recommendation. I would have guessed that the salinity in a non-deionized water would be detrimental. Spring waters are not created equally for sure, the compositions can be vastly different. Just curious as to the theory...

barspen

Established Member
Ha, interesting replies! I had not thought about the lubrication function of the coolant. One question on the Spring Water suggestion, I am really surprised by that recommendation. I would have guessed that the salinity in a non-deionized water would be detrimental. Spring waters are not created equally for sure, the compositions can be vastly different. Just curious as to the theory...

Did a bunch of reading and there are a lot of theories and options - De-ionized can 'pull' minerals from the radiator...Too much 'purity' can be a bad thing here. Distilled is better (especially mixed with coolant), but spring is more balanced/less reactive overall (seems like I read this on one of Van's posts, but I could be making that part up). Tap water contains too much garbage (chloride, fluoride, etc). I'm no chemist, but have been fine with spring H2O mixed with DexCool. I agree with Dynobrat, might be overthinking it...I've been known to do that with these kinds of decisions too :) Also would not run straight H2O...There are benefits to running some coolant.

KRS

Established Member
Just another opinion for what it's worth. I've always thought it was best to use a purified water to help prevent deposits. I run a 50/50 mix for the corrosion protection that it provides. I do live in a colder climate but my car doesn't get driven in freezing weather and it's kept in a heated garage. I don't think you would see much of a performance difference by changing the ratio. The added bonus of the 50/50 fill is you can fill it and forget it.

Ford sells their Orange coolant prediluted so that simplifies what water to use. It's also not recommended (owners manual) to run less than 40% coolant due to decreased corrosion and freeze protection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread