HDMI Cable/HDTV

760-MPH

Established Member
Need some help...

Just got a 50" Sony SXRD Television and Comcast is coming out this Saturday to hook up an HD Receiver.

Do I need to get an HDMI Cable? If so, what kind do I need to get? The only thing I discovered during my "research" on the internet was to stay away from Monster.
Any direct links to the cable I will need is greatly appreciated.

Although some people have told me to just use component cables, can anyone explain why?

Thanks for your help.

Vegas Mach1

Established Member
HDMI is the best for the digital signal and sound. I would recommend optical cable for Dolby Digital sound to your receiver. Component cables are only for video. You still need audio out cables. I have a 60" SXRD and other than my Machs it is the best purchase I have ever made. The HDMI cables can be purchased from a number of sources, I like pccables.com . Go to avsforums.com they have everything thing that you need to know about audio visual, kinda like this site for SVTs.
Happy viewing you will love this set as it looks 10-times better in your home than in the store.

assasyn

Established Member
It depends on your reciever. If if has HDMI outs then use it. It doesen't use component and optical. What make you think monster is bad? For the average user monster is fine. I have used many monster products and only had problems with one of them. The retailers get credit for faulty monster products and they will usually exchange it. If you had very high end products like Loewe or an LCOS set and great components I would say get silver wires. To the untrained eye monster is okay. My recommendation to get the set proffesionaly tuned. Just like an automobile a great tune does it wonders. Tuner have access to service menus you are not supposed to get into. If you don't do that get AVIA dvd or Digital Video Essentials dvd and tweak it yourself. Make sure your tuner is ISF certified.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Monster, the stuff you find at your local stores are junk..But they do make some nice stuff as well.

Antagon

Established Member
Check out avsforums for some great online cable places, high quality and cheap as hell :)

Monster isnt junk, just very overpriced and very overhyped.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
get a cheap hdmi to hdmi cable.

I got mine at radio shack. it was about $50. I paid too much, but was in a hurry.

as others have said, hdmi is digitial... so the cable with either work or wont. It isn't like analog where it can pick up ghosting and other 'noise' typical of analog connections.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
I just bought an HDMI cable from monoprice.com. Ended up costing $18 for 3 feet of cable.

Check out AVSforum.com. More than likely you would run HDMI from your Comcast box to your tv. The you run a digital optical cable from your tv to your receiver, that is, if your tv has a digital optical out.

Just check your owners manual for your tv, or look at the back of it where all of your inputs/outputs are. It should be clearly marked as HDMI.

As others have said, HDMI is wonderful because it's purely digital. It either works or it doesn't, as long as the 1's and 0's get to where they need to be it should work. Also, HDMI carries both sound/video sources with one cable, drastically reducing the amount of cabling behind your entertainment center. I have read opinions of not purchasing a cable longer than 3 meters as the quality deteriorates. However, I'm unsure of that.

Oh, and you might want to invest in a power conditioner for all of your a/v components.

But check out avsforum.com, all of your answers are right there.

Ahpun

Established Member
That's a good price for a HDMI cable. Your TV has 2 HDMI inputs... you will also be able to use HDMI for a HD/B-Ray disc player or Xbox/PS3. They really should be making TVs with 3 inputs, but 2 is better than most of them out there with only 1.

760-MPH

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's help, i really appreciate it.

As far as Monster, I never read it was a bad product per se, just way overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread