HD Tranny cooler question

blkstangman88

Established Member
Hey guys, I just picked up a 02 HD with 65k miles last week and ive been in the process of combing though it thoroughly to make sure nothing needs to be replaced or was half azz'd. All in all this thing is 99% stock aside from the lowering kit which the last owner installed

Anyways my question is, what has everyone been doing to upgrade the tranny cooling system? ive been looking into a new pan, remote filter housing and a nice after market cooler. let me know what you guys have.

No im not planning on hauling massive wt with this truck, but i am a firm believer if i take care of this now and keep the fluid clean/cool, the tranny will last almost forever.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
oil cooler finished.JPG

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
#17 is the model. You can see the ratings on the back of the box. I believe this one is 5 1/2"x11x3/4", GVWR-16,000, BTU Rating- 12,000, 3/8" hose barb. Wix filter P/N - 51311.
I got this in kit form off of the NHTOC site long time ago. Came with hoses, filter and fittings.

oil cooler label.JPG

Last edited:

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
THINGS LEARNED:

"Larger and/or finned pans don't offer ANY additional cooling improvements over the stock pans."

From what I understand...
Whether it's 4 quarts or 8 quarts it'll all heat up to the same temp.
A tranny pan, whether aluminum or finned does not cool the fluid.
Why? The ATF doesn't stay in pan long enough for it to be effective.

What are your thoughts on a auxiliary transmission filter?

From what I have discovered...

"An auxiliary filter is a good idea.

The (Perma-Cool branded kit below) filter uses a standard full-size Ford oil filter (3/4"-16 threads) to provide cheap and effective filtration.
Additionally, people have reported significant (15-30°) temperature drops from just a remote filter."

Perma-Cool Standard Automatic Transmission Filter Kits 10678 About $50+
tranny_filter_installed.jpg
prm-10678_w.jpg

The Statement:

"Automatic transmissions have internal filters designed to capture only large particles. These filters are designed as a pickup to keep large particles from flowing through the transmission. These filters are on the suction side of the pump. Fine filtration in the pan is not an option for the transmission manufacturers due to the fact that transmission pumps should not be restricted. The only way to get fine filtration for a transmission is with an external transmission filter kit on the push side of the pump. The 4R100/E4OD and many other transmissions were never equipped with this type of external filter. The Allison in the Chevy and many medium duty and heavy duty trucks come equipped from the factory with an external transmission filter. This is not a new idea in transmission maintenance and protection."

Some have questioned whether an external filter is a good idea. Consider this (from a filter kit seller):

How it works:

Our filter is on the "push" side of the pump. This location allows for a filter with increased efficiency -- or smaller micron rating. Normally, you have the dirty fluid in the pan. The OEM filter hopefully catches the really big particles before it enters the valves and pump. After running through the transmission, it leaves as "dirty" fluid. This fluid will have clutch dust and other impurities which are all normal in any automatic transmission. This dirty fluid would be recirculated back to the pan. With our kit you can catch dirty fluid BEFORE it makes back to the pan.

Keeping the fluid clean, keeps your valve body clean which keeps your transmission shift quality at its highest.

After installation of our external kit the filter in the pan now acts simply as a pickup for the pump and virtually never needs changed.

. . . Our filters have a micron rating of 22 microns. That is plenty for any transmission. Pan filters have no real micron rating. Many are nothing but screens."

"Question: What is the micron rating of the OEM unit and why is yours a 22 micron element?

Answer: There isn't a rating on the OEM filter. If you had to rate it, according to Baldwin, it would be about 100 microns. It's basically a screen. 22 microns is smaller than the smallest clearance in the transmission. We could definitely put a smaller micron filter on the housing, but the result would be less oil actually filtered in each pass as more fluid would pass through the bypass port because of increased resistance to flow through the filter. Because the 22 micron element was small enough to keep the system clean and allow all the fluid to be filtered in a single pass, it was the perfect choice."

A little NAPA research:

Transmission filter:

NAPA Gold 1622 is an actual transmission filter not an oil filter. it would definitely flow better than a regular oil filter because the mesh filter inside isn't woven as tight.

NAPA 1622 (HP-1 cross reference) - 5.22" H x 3.7" OD, by-pass valve setting at 7-9 PSIG. Anti-drainback valve. > 10GPM

Not even mentioning the external transmission filter is a LOT easier to change than the internal one.

What are your thoughts on an transmission cooler?

Need more cooling? The Ford Super Duty (F250) transmission cooler (XC3Z-7A095-CA)
sd_cooler_installed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread