HBH to the rescue!!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ok, as the title suggests, I have decided to let the world renowned Hermann of Horsepower by Hermann rescue me.
I have decided that the learning curve is a little to steep and time is too short for me to fully realize the potential of the SCT ProRacers Package I own.
After several false starts, and with winter rapidly closing in on the Midwest, I find that I have almost run out of time to get the tune set up properly on my car.
After a lengthy conversation with Hermann on Friday, we have decided to work together to get it sorted out.
To complicate things though, (don’t want to make it too easy) I also have a nice new Whipple sitting in my garage that keeps calling me.
It started out as a call to get one of those slick new switches he has for the SCT chip switch that fit into the coin holder slot. The conversation progressed from there with me asking (and him answering) all kinds of questions about the SCT software. I finally came to the conclusion that since he has all the answers, why not just let him do it?
So he has agreed to take on the task of straightening out the tune on my car that is almost there but just not right.
Some of those that know me personally will know that is not the norm. I do all my own work. Period. This will be a first. Well almost anyway. I know I can’t set up a ring and pinion to save my live so I let one of the local experts do that for me.
Sometimes you just have to know your limitations. This is one of those times.
I’ll keep you posted as the work progresses.

Dana

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
Dana said:
Some of those that know me personally will know that is not the norm. I do all my own work. Period. This will be a first. Well almost anyway. I know I can’t set up a ring and pinion to save my live so I let one of the local experts do that for me.

I really wouldn't worry too much about that one Dana. I also do my own work as well... but I know I'd be lost with tuner software and a laptop right in front of me. I feel as if cars these days are way too complicated to do every single thing yourself. Keep us updated on the progress... I too have a Whipple on the way and want 600 + :-D

Shannon

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
What's a Whipple? :D

Bolt those suckers up and melt some tires.

I agree with you, tuning the car is best left to those who know what they are doing. That is one thing you don't want to mess up (something I like to call Self Critiquing)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The SCT ProRacers package is a good piece but the learning curve is pretty steep if you want to be able to exploit ALL of its capabilites.
I want to put the car solidly into the 10's and if I don't act reasonably soon and have Hermann's help, I'll be too old to drive. HA! HA!

This thing already melts the tires. I need the Whipple for the top end where the Eaton goes out to lunch.

Dana

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Dana said:
The SCT ProRacers package is a good piece but the learning curve is pretty steep if you want to be able to exploit ALL of its capabilites.
I want to put the car solidly into the 10's and if I don't act reasonably soon and have Hermann's help, I'll be too old to drive. HA! HA!

This thing already melts the tires. I need the Whipple for the top end where the Eaton goes out to lunch.

Dana
I can't wait to do "the bigger project" dana!!! That car is going to be MEAN!! :burnout:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
All I need is the trailer and we're good to go!!

Anyone near Chicago have one they would be willing to rent for a few days?

Thanks,
Dana

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
hpbyhermann said:
I can't wait to do "the bigger project" dana!!! That car is going to be MEAN!! :burnout:

Hmm... What's "the bigger project"??

Let the cat out of the bag, Dana. Please? :??:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
It looks as though Hermann is going to do the entire Whipple, injector, dyno tune thing, rather than just the tune by e-mail thing that we initially discussed.
I have spent several hours on the phone with him recently and this seems to be the most intelligent way to proceed.
It's not often I have the pleasure of talking to someone as knowledgeable as Hermann and I feel confidant that this is the way to go.
A complete, finished product with guaranteed results.
I just wish he was a little closer, but I think the trip will be worth it.

Anyone in the Chicago area have a trailer that they would be willing to rent for a few days?

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ok, here’s an update.

The quest for a trailer ultimately failed, so I bought one.

In the plus side, the 700++ mile trip was well worth it.

The work at HBH was done as promised and completed on schedule.

Hermann is a professional in the true sense of the word. He takes pride in his work, as do his employees, James, the head mechanic, and Jim, the parts man.
The blower was installed the way I would have done it, if I were to have done it myself. The finished product is perfection. Nothing less.

Tuning was done in real world conditions on the street.
I’m not going to go into all the details, but suffice it to say, it runs better than any tune I have had to this point and I have had some “experts” attempt to tune it.
It isn’t that my car is any more difficult to tune than the next one, it is just that Hermann didn’t quit until he and I were both satisfied.
All the runs were data logged and analyzed afterwards. Corrections/adjustments were performed and additional runs made.

Seeing as how this was the first Whipple/SCT MAF install for the shop, the tune took a little longer than normal, but that’s ok guys, now we have a place to start from for the rest of you.

For those of you that may be looking for a quality shop to have work done, I would give Hermann a call first. He knows his way around these Cobras!!

Before anyone asks, I have NO numbers, but maybe this week. Depends on the weather in Chicago.
I can say that it will snap your head back in 3rd gear now from any speed and especially at 3500 and beyond. This is something the Eaton couldn’t do, nitrous or not. And it never stops pulling.

Dana

i8u

Established Member
Dana said:
I know I can’t set up a ring and pinion to save my live so I let one of the local experts do that for me.
Sometimes you just have to know your limitations. This is one of those times.
I’ll keep you posted as the work progresses.

Dana

Sounds like the right decision. Keep us posted. :banana:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Dana said:
Ok, here’s an update.

The quest for a trailer ultimately failed, so I bought one.

In the plus side, the 700++ mile trip was well worth it.

The work at HBH was done as promised and completed on schedule.

Hermann is a professional in the true sense of the word. He takes pride in his work, as do his employees, James, the head mechanic, and Jim, the parts man.
The blower was installed the way I would have done it, if I were to have done it myself. The finished product is perfection. Nothing less.

Tuning was done in real world conditions on the street.
I’m not going to go into all the details, but suffice it to say, it runs better than any tune I have had to this point and I have had some “experts” attempt to tune it.
It isn’t that my car is any more difficult to tune than the next one, it is just that Hermann didn’t quit until he and I were both satisfied.
All the runs were data logged and analyzed afterwards. Corrections/adjustments were performed and additional runs made.

Seeing as how this was the first Whipple/SCT MAF install for the shop, the tune took a little longer than normal, but that’s ok guys, now we have a place to start from for the rest of you.

For those of you that may be looking for a quality shop to have work done, I would give Hermann a call first. He knows his way around these Cobras!!

Before anyone asks, I have NO numbers, but maybe this week. Depends on the weather in Chicago.
I can say that it will snap your head back in 3rd gear now from any speed and especially at 3500 and beyond. This is something the Eaton couldn’t do, nitrous or not. And it never stops pulling.

Dana
dan, glad to meet you in person, your car is awesome and the best part about it is the better than stock drivability!! Of course the power is great too but lets face it...it's not floored 99% of the time you drive it.......the WOT stuff isn't to bad to get right...the drivability is!! :burnout:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Yes the overall driveability is like stock. You would never know that the engine has 60# injectors and a blower almost 50% larger than the stock piece (even at an idle) until you step on the gas that is!!
Dana

FearblueR1

Established Member
Herman, James, and Jim,

FYI to the forum - I was with Dan and made the trip down with him to Herman's.

It was VERY nice to meet such a GREAT crew!!! You all have special talents and are very critical of your own work!! It is GREAT to meet you guys, and know that there are still a few out there that take pride in what they do!! :beer:

I'm allot like Dan and have allot of issues letting others work on my car. I can safely say I have NONE of those issues as I watched you guys work.

The results were just incredible, the drivability was HUGE!!!!!!!! I have yet to be in such a modified car that drove incredibly like a new stock 04 off the lot!! But have the brutal hit of the new blower.

The power delivery was extremely smooth, I just don't have enough words to explain how it felt. Everywhere through the RPM line was smooth, the power was instantly responsive, there was no lag, no delay, no bucking.....just a smooth EXTREME pull all the way to the top! The way it should be!!! :rockon:

I want to thank James too for the extra help that he gave in helping us load the car. It was ALL greatly appreciated and I had a GREAT time meeting you guys!!

All of you guys are TRUE professionals in this industry!!! It was the type of work and follow through I have been searching for!!! :thumbsup:

First class all the way!

If you ever drive through or around Chicago, please look me up, I would be glad to help you guys in anyway I can.

Herman you can fully expect my car this spring at the first hint of winter breaking, I will be keeping in touch with you as the time draws closer!

To everyone on the east coast, you are VERY lucky to have Herman so close, and to anyone that is thinking about doing the drive, WORTH EVERY FREAKING MILE !!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Dan and Tim- You guys are making me drool on my computer. Dan, if you don't mind, I'd like to reserve a ride in your car sometime. Hopefully we get the dyno day going at Sutton on the 18th and I can see that beast operate. :beer:

FearblueR1

Established Member
hpbyhermann said:
lots of ways to go....we should get a plan together for your new setup! hope the ride home was good for you guys!! :rockon: hermann

For sure!! The trip wasn't bad, kept the pedal down and didn't make any detours. I think we made it in around 11hrs or so. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread