Hawk HPS pads on the fritz after 5k miles??

GokartMozart315

Established Member
so i haven't been able to get the brakes looked at yet, but i'm hearing squeal and it looks like the wear indicator is to blame. i bought the car less than 5000 miles ago, which is when i put brand new HPS pads in.

it's true, i live in a city (drive about twice a week) and do hoon the car plenty, but how in the world could these pads already be worn out...?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Try to use that lifetime warranty that comes with the hawk HPS pads.

Also are you sure the pads are worn? How much meat is left on the pads? I've installed the HPS pads on various cars and sometimes they squeal brand new,sometimes they're dead silent. Don't know if it's a quality control thing or what.:shrug:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Are they squealing while braking or while driving? If they're squealing while driving, it's probably the wear indicator. If it's while braking, you need to tear it down and coat the back of the pads with an anti-squeal compound and grease the pins.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
are they squealing while braking or while driving? If they're squealing while driving, it's probably the wear indicator. If it's while braking, you need to tear it down and coat the back of the pads with an anti-squeal compound and grease the pins.

+1

GokartMozart315

Established Member
Are they squealing while braking or while driving? If they're squealing while driving, it's probably the wear indicator. If it's while braking, you need to tear it down and coat the back of the pads with an anti-squeal compound and grease the pins.

now that is very interesting. i'll admit i've always thought brake squeak under braking meant pads were done, and under regular driving meant something was really off; it's under braking...will speak with hawk

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
now that is very interesting. i'll admit i've always thought brake squeak under braking meant pads were done, and under regular driving meant something was really off; it's under braking...will speak with hawk

No sir, bass ackwards. I had some aggressive Carbotech pads on the front of the Cobra and they squealed like crazy from day one. I'd tear it down, grease everything real well and it would stop for 2-3 weeks, then start again. I finally bought some ubber brake squeal stopper from advance auto, but sold the Cobra before ever trying it out. I know the guy who bought the car and he finally got fed up enough to change back to OEM pads with less than 7500 miles on the Carbotechs.

I haven't used a wide variety of aggressive aftermarket pads, but I imagine it's a universal problem.

Last edited:

GokartMozart315

Established Member
haha that doesn't sound like fun! i spoke to hawk, and they pointed out that i'm an idiot because in my excitement to set the new car up, i forgot the bed-in procedure :dw: they said i could try to just do it now, but the best would be to give the rotors a light sand and then do it, and i'd be 100% back to normal.

the squeal is pretty faint and doesn't happen every time, so i'll get around to dealing with it eventually. i've heard the carbotechs are for track only, due to all that squeal and the high temps they need. thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread