Hawaii for christmas vacation

badass98vert

Established Member
so me and my girlfriend have decided to go to hawaii for christmas but i have no clue as to where to stay or what to do. i have done some looking online at different resorts and islands but wanted to see if anyone on here would have any suggestions as to where to stay, and any tips for saving some money. i know that its not going to be cheap but i also dont want to spend a fortune on it. any advice would be great.

IcE

Established Member
Well my family went there this Summer on vacation and I would not be able to tell you the price of everything, but it is expensive since everything has to be imported to the island. But as for stuff to do we went to Maui and Oahu. In Maui if you decide to go there definitly check out The Road to Hana which is a very scenic road along the edge of the island which has waterfalls, all types of plants and incredible views outlooking the Ocean. There is also a black and red sand beach that you can visit while doing this which is on the way. One thing that I though was awesome was biking down from the volcano named Haleakala. You get to go to the top and see the sunrise above the clouds then bike for miles down the mountain on twisty roads sometimes hitting 35-40 mph+. It was probably the most fun thing I enjoyed there. Also check out Pearl Harbor if you go to Oahu, we stayed in Waikiki which had a very nice beach to lay on and swim in.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Stay on Hawaii if you want the cheapest place. I haven't been there in a while though so i couldn't tell you the best/cheapest place exactly. You don't need a place right on the beach though, the island is small enough that you can get to any beach really quickly. We used to fly in between the islands when we wanted to visit the others, you can take a ferry too though. Don't wear your typical beach/resort clothes all the time, everywhere, people will know that you are a tourist and treat you like an idiot.

chrisheltra

Established Member
If your not into the tourist trap thing dont stay in Waikiki. Also plan on spending at a minimum of 5K for a week in Hawaii. That includes flight, hotel, food, entertainment and a rental car if you decide to get one.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
We went for Christmas in 2004. It was awsome! We stayed in a hotel right on Waikiki Beach. There was a great beach there with plenty of room all day long. The North Shore is pretty cool also to go to. And of course Pearl Harbor. You can always catch a flight to another island from Oahu for cheap also if you want to go explore another island. So that is something to keep in your mind.

It is pretty wild seeing cars driving down the interstate with Christmas trees on their roofs in 80* weather lol.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
so me and my girlfriend have decided to go to hawaii for christmas but i have no clue as to where to stay or what to do. i have done some looking online at different resorts and islands but wanted to see if anyone on here would have any suggestions as to where to stay, and any tips for saving some money. i know that its not going to be cheap but i also dont want to spend a fortune on it. any advice would be great.

The Big island would prolly be cheapest over all. You could always fly in to Uahu and take the one week island hopping Cruise- between the flight and cruise you're looking @ about 1500-2000 each. But you'll get to see all the main islands- and you don't have to worry about transportation or food. I'd also try priceline.com for if you want to stay @ hotels or rent cars. I stayed @ the Double Tree in Downtown Waikiki for a weekend last March for 62 a nite and rented a fullsize car for 26 a day. There are bargains to be had but you have to look. Also if you are military or have a active duty family member the military discounts are excellent.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
on Oahu - Pearl harbor, Polynesian cultural center, punch bowl national cemetary, Hanama bay, waikiki beach (for about 20 minutes), then get the hell off the island. go to Maui or the big island for the rest of your stay

2003 Silver

Banned
I've been to Maui and Oahu. If you want to relax go to Maui or one of the other islands. Oahu is kind of like going to a small city.

Do a helicopter tour if you go to Maui. Oh yeah, be ready for TONS and I mean TONS of ignorant Japanese tourists.:nonono:

badass98vert

Established Member
The Big island would prolly be cheapest over all. You could always fly in to Uahu and take the one week island hopping Cruise- between the flight and cruise you're looking @ about 1500-2000 each. But you'll get to see all the main islands- and you don't have to worry about transportation or food. I'd also try priceline.com for if you want to stay @ hotels or rent cars. I stayed @ the Double Tree in Downtown Waikiki for a weekend last March for 62 a nite and rented a fullsize car for 26 a day. There are bargains to be had but you have to look. Also if you are military or have a active duty family member the military discounts are excellent.

awesome, ive never heard of that cruise ill have to check that out

badass98vert

Established Member
I've been to Maui and Oahu. If you want to relax go to Maui or one of the other islands. Oahu is kind of like going to a small city.

Do a helicopter tour if you go to Maui. Oh yeah, be ready for TONS and I mean TONS of ignorant Japanese tourists.:nonono:

well i guess maui it is then, def dont want the small city thing looking more to relax and have a romantic getaway kinda thing

Midnight Venom

Reloaded's Girl
Established Member
well i guess maui it is then, def dont want the small city thing looking more to relax and have a romantic getaway kinda thing

If you go to Maui, check Peahi "Jaws" (probably some of the largest waves in the world are created there). Even if you dont like surfing, its something amazing to see. Its east of Ho'okipa, I don't know exactly where, but ask some locals and hope they're nice (they might go tell you to f%$k yourself though, hawaii is not tourist friendly, especially when it comes to surfing). December-Feb usually has the big waves there but I can't promise anything epic, the conditions have to be perfect.

Have fun! I'm soooooooo jealous

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

whatever you do take at least one day on oahu and see those things I told you about. to go and not visit the arizona in pearl harbor, Diamond head and the polynesian cultural center is a mistake in my opinion. if you never go back you will kick yourself for missing them.

I agree that Oahu is like one huge city now. When I was there (back in the 60s) you could actually see Diamond Head from waikiki beach which you can't anymore and that is a crying shame. but it is still worth a one day visit.

chrisheltra

Established Member
When I was there (back in the 60s) you could actually see Diamond Head from waikiki beach which you can't anymore and that is a crying shame. but it is still worth a one day visit.

That isnt an accurate statement. I stayed at the Outrigger on the beach in Waikiki and could see diamond head from my balcony. It was a nice hotel but at ~ $450 a night the price was steep.

badass98vert

Established Member
whatever you do take at least one day on oahu and see those things I told you about. to go and not visit the arizona in pearl harbor, Diamond head and the polynesian cultural center is a mistake in my opinion. if you never go back you will kick yourself for missing them.

I agree that Oahu is like one huge city now. When I was there (back in the 60s) you could actually see Diamond Head from waikiki beach which you can't anymore and that is a crying shame. but it is still worth a one day visit.

yeah, maybe well take a plane over there for a day those places do sound awesome

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That isnt an accurate statement. I stayed at the Outrigger on the beach in Waikiki and could see diamond head from my balcony. It was a nice hotel but at ~ $450 a night the price was steep.

Dude ... are you being intentionally obtuse? looking at diamond head from a freaking BALCONY is much different from looking at it from the beach .... What floor were you on ?

chrisheltra

Established Member
Dude ... are you being intentionally obtuse? looking at diamond head from a freaking BALCONY is much different from looking at it from the beach .... What floor were you on ?

2nd or 3rd cant remember. Thanks for insulting me though.

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
The cultural center is pretty much a day in itself if you go through the whole thing. I would play it safe and say that you will need two days to see those things that RDJ listed. But like he said, if you don't see them you will kick yourself later.

Users who are viewing this thread