Having the hardest time deciding to do oil pump gears or not...

Kman11

Established Member
Hey all,

So while my rear end was being rebuilt, i had the shop do a compression test and all came back good. 180-178 across the board almost no variation.

Now that i know the motor is healthy, on to the next step which is a super charger.

I would not do the oil pump gear install myself, so i'm weighing my options here -
* Looks like 8-10 hours install @ 90 an hour, lets go high and say $1000.00 for labor
* Beefcake has the gears for $319.00
* I assume i will need some gaskets as well?
* So roughly $1400-$1500 to do this.

Looking at an MMR 1k hp shortblock is about 5k, plus the cost to put heads on it, install in car etc etc. It is hard to justify investing 1500 into a motor that may not last anyways, and not just look at the long play ( put money into built motor). I'm not saying i would definitely go the MMR route, although i'm sure their motors are great, just using an example of cost at the moment.

Some other factors -
* If my stock motor explodes it would not be devastating to me, i would have no problem installing a new built motor in it.
* The thought of the stock motor surviving for ~ 2 years at around 550-600rwhp sounds great, giving me time for the next step. I drive the car for fun only, and do race regularly
* My supercharger of choice at the moment is a procharger, which i would install myself.
* If i can score a good deal (used) on some other SC, even if its a roush, whipple etc i would probably do it. Not sure if this changes things as alot has to be taken apart anyway to install that SC, so maybe you are part the way there to the OPG's? I would pay a shop to do the SC install in this case.

Sorry for being long-winded. Just looking at your guys opinions, why you did or didn't do the OPG's and what you would recommend in my case.

Many thanks,
Jesse.

Vert

Established Member
Im on my 2nd PD SC mustang and i didn't do the OPG on either one and no issues thus far. Ive done cam installs on LS motors, but I didn't feel like dicking with this car and risking me screwing up the timing.
In the end, you will be kicking yourself in the ass if you don't do it and the motors lets go because of the OPGs.

kdaly

Established Member
Adding boost you'll want OPG and Crank Gears installed, especially if you take it near 7k rpm or might every hit the rev limiter. I didnt do it and I am now, in a couple weeks. Have the parts in hand just waiting on the install date. If you keep it under 6k rpm like I have you will be fine. If you are not worried about a motor blowing then you dont need to worry about 1500 to make sure you motor will live at anything under 650. These cars last a while with boost with just those two mods. If you want a built motor in the future just go ahead and do it now and save yourself 1000 on labor installing the OPG's. If you want 700+ you gonna need to budget 1800 or so plus install which i think takes a while for a fuel system.

Keeping a car at 650 or less is cheap, more than that you are gonna need a lot of mods. And cheap is relative to comparing the two. 650 isnt really cheap in the grand scheme of things.

imeyers302

Established Member
Hey all,

So while my rear end was being rebuilt, i had the shop do a compression test and all came back good. 180-178 across the board almost no variation.

Now that i know the motor is healthy, on to the next step which is a super charger.

I would not do the oil pump gear install myself, so i'm weighing my options here -
* Looks like 8-10 hours install @ 90 an hour, lets go high and say $1000.00 for labor
* Beefcake has the gears for $319.00
* I assume i will need some gaskets as well?
* So roughly $1400-$1500 to do this.

Looking at an MMR 1k hp shortblock is about 5k, plus the cost to put heads on it, install in car etc etc. It is hard to justify investing 1500 into a motor that may not last anyways, and not just look at the long play ( put money into built motor). I'm not saying i would definitely go the MMR route, although i'm sure their motors are great, just using an example of cost at the moment.

Some other factors -
* If my stock motor explodes it would not be devastating to me, i would have no problem installing a new built motor in it.
* The thought of the stock motor surviving for ~ 2 years at around 550-600rwhp sounds great, giving me time for the next step. I drive the car for fun only, and do race regularly
* My supercharger of choice at the moment is a procharger, which i would install myself.
* If i can score a good deal (used) on some other SC, even if its a roush, whipple etc i would probably do it. Not sure if this changes things as alot has to be taken apart anyway to install that SC, so maybe you are part the way there to the OPG's? I would pay a shop to do the SC install in this case.

Sorry for being long-winded. Just looking at your guys opinions, why you did or didn't do the OPG's and what you would recommend in my case.

Many thanks,
Jesse.

In the same boat as you. I recently installed a Stage 2 procharger tuner kit and was debating the same thing. Have not been to a dyno yet but should be around 600whp. I think in the end you are right. If you are going to be keeping the car for a long time and going boost, I think it pays to just get a forged bottom end if doing the labor for the OPGs. Even if you do the opg's, at 600+whp the rods and pistons are pretty much maxed out. You could also sell your stock motor and go for an Aluminator. Me personally I am probably not going to to the OPGs in the stock engine. If she blows I will likely do an Aluminator short block or an MMR short block. That being said I have been to 7700 rpms more times than I can count, many times since being boosted @9psi and have not had any issues. Car runs like a champ and seems to love boost.

Zemedici

Established Member
Adding boost you'll want OPG and Crank Gears installed, especially if you take it near 7k rpm or might every hit the rev limiter. I didnt do it and I am now, in a couple weeks. Have the parts in hand just waiting on the install date. If you keep it under 6k rpm like I have you will be fine. If you are not worried about a motor blowing then you dont need to worry about 1500 to make sure you motor will live at anything under 650. These cars last a while with boost with just those two mods. If you want a built motor in the future just go ahead and do it now and save yourself 1000 on labor installing the OPG's. If you want 700+ you gonna need to budget 1800 or so plus install which i think takes a while for a fuel system.

Keeping a car at 650 or less is cheap, more than that you are gonna need a lot of mods. And cheap is relative to comparing the two. 650 isnt really cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Who's doing your OPGs??

And +1 to everything he said. Man knows what he's talking about.

My girls 2015 that's 2.9l whipplecharged, I did NOT put some in hers, because she doesnt wind it out. However if it were my car, I would. :beer:

kdaly

Established Member
Who's doing your OPGs??

And +1 to everything he said. Man knows what he's talking about.

My girls 2015 that's 2.9l whipplecharged, I did NOT put some in hers, because she doesnt wind it out. However if it were my car, I would. :beer:

Kurgan Motor sports. They only want 1000 to install it which is cheap. Or possibly next weekend a buddy who is a full time mechanic and I are going to tackle it... Not looking forward to it if I have to install it with him lol.

Dig Race

Established Member
Do the opg if you getting a built motor it would be stupid to blow a 5k motor over some $200 gears. The builder should throw them in for next to nothing

hirting

Established Member
I also had this same dilemma. I asked for a quote from a local shop on how much to install and the OPG's and Supercharger and they wanted $1500 for the OPG's and $2000 for the supercharger install. Based on the price, I decided to do both myself but I was considering NOT doing the OPG's because I had never done anything that complex with the engine. I ended up deciding that since I was already half way there with the supercharger install, I might as well install the OPG's.

It was a pain in the ass (time consuming, not overly difficult) to install them but as most have said, it's peace of mind that the OPG's won't shatter and I can sleep comfortably at night (cheap insurance) when pushing the car. I suggest doing it if you race the car!

BTW, I installed Boundry gears and had zero issues and they are about $100 less then the other options. Also, if you do replace the OPG's don't forget the timing chain crank sprocket.

Kman11

Established Member
Hey thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

I guess what would really chap my ass would be if i spend the 1500+ to do the gears and the rods let go, or something like that.

I think the right call is to do them, and hope the motor holds together around the 600rwhp mark.

So what other parts should i be getting besides the gears themselves? Just the crank sprocket? Is there a kit with the new gaskets or something?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hey thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

I guess what would really chap my ass would be if i spend the 1500+ to do the gears and the rods let go, or something like that.

I think the right call is to do them, and hope the motor holds together around the 600rwhp mark.

So what other parts should i be getting besides the gears themselves? Just the crank sprocket? Is there a kit with the new gaskets or something?

Yes you will need the crank sprocket and frpp sells a gasket kit for $70.00 at LMR. https://lmr.com/item/M6600A50PKIT/ford-racing-oil-pump-installation-kit-1115-m-6600-a50pkit

You doing the install with your buddy?

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
I'd recommend doing the OPGs versus building the motor now because the cost would end up being much much higher in comparison and you should still have plenty of power until the new motor. The install is definitely a pain in the ass and I if I had to do it again I'd pay someone in a heartbeat to do it for me. Just check out Blazer'a write up and it has a list of all the gaskets you'll need to replace for the job.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Remember in the how to section there is a OPG install thread for people to do them yourselves and not have to pay a shop to do something so simple.

02blackfoci

I'm not saying its right and I'm not saying its wrong but I have no oil pump gears in my 13 and I drag race mine and hit the limiter every now and than at around 7700 rpm and I haven't had an issue and I'm sitting about around 3000 miles on this set up. car is a 2013 m6 gt with a vmp tvs 82mm pulley and e85 traps 133 so its making power

Paul.

Established Member

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think if I keep my car and decide to build it, I will be doing the OPG's and crank sprocket gear as well.
Good luck OP!!

Kman11

Established Member
Many thanks for the continued replies everyone. I will be doing them for sure, definitely paying someone to do it as i have zero interest in under going that install.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Many thanks for the continued replies everyone. I will be doing them for sure, definitely paying someone to do it as i have zero interest in under going that install.

Who in MA is going to do your install?

Users who are viewing this thread