Having Issues With My 01. Help Please!

Porter68

Established Member
My 2001 cobra has been having some issues lately. I'm ready to get it straightened out soon so I can enjoy this car in this beautiful weather. First off the car has had the engine rebuilt recently. I removed and replaced the engine myself. Had a local builder rebuild the engine.

On cold start-up has problem idling. It wants to die so I have to give it some gas to keep it from dying. After it warms up it idles ok, but has a slight surging problem. After it warms up and I give it gas, then let off, it drops down to like 400 rpms for split second and almost dies, then goes back to normal idle.

The car is running lean so the computer is dumping large amounts of fuel to get the air/fuel ratio correct. So when you give it lot of throttle it blows black smoke out the exhaust. The exhaust is coated with black buildup which I believe is unburnt fuel? Car is also burning oil. I've been told this is from the air/fuel mixture being all screwed up.

The check engine light came on last time I drove it. It was referring to the idle air control valve. I did replace the idle air control valve recently from auto zone. When I unplug the idle air control valve with engine hot or cold, nothing changes. It is getting voltage but not working for some reason.

I need some advise on what to do. Some people say I need a tune, some do not. It acts like a vacuum leak but I've sprayed the complete engine and vacuum lines down with carburetor cleaner and found nothing. Some also say it could be a sensor.

I am hoping someone out here can please help me out. If you really know these cars well and could call and help me, I'd really appreciate that. Just PM me your number and I'll call you. Thanks!

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Hmm

It does sound like a vac leak.

Throw a vac gauge on it and see what you get at idle.

Could be a cracked vac line or possibly a misaligned gasket somewhere if its low.

Might also want to pull your plugs and take a look at them, might help you track down a bad injector or something...

Last edited:

SPoole

Established Member
Even though you replaced the IAC, you could have gotten a bad one. Since the code is still pointing to the IAC I would not give up on it yet. Could you have carbon build up in housing where the valve seat seals causing the valve to hang up?

Porter68

Established Member
I pulled a couple of the vacuum hoses off and some don't seem like they are pulling much vacuum, if any. I need to pick up a gauge and find what they are reading. Anyone know what the vacuum pressures should be? And I would think that different lines have different pressures?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Most of the smaller vacuum lines don't feel that strong when putting your finger against it.

My car has stock cams and I'm seeing ~20 in/hg at idle (700rpm-800rpm).

Porter68

Established Member
I still have yet to figure out this problem. Still all the same symptoms as stated in my original post. I first had the p1506 code and the p1074 codes come up. Then I erased them and now I have the codes p1504 and p1401. There are no vacuum leaks and the idle air control has been replaced. Ive checked the set screw in the throttle body. I have no idea what the problem is. Does the car need tuned? Does it need a new ECU? Maybe its a sensor? Im clueless, any help is greatly appreciated.

tcdavis

Established Member
Couple of easy things: I would pull the neg. battery cable for a minute to reset the computer. sounds like your gas/air mixture is the problem...why? I don't know (sorry) some guys have been " deleting the IAC with fabricated aluminum and or gasket, you could search IAC fix or mod and see if that is something you might want to try. I was having rev hang and cleaned the IAC and MAF with MAF cleaner from oreilly's to clear things up. also had a lean code at bank 2(cyl.2).

01yellercobra

Established Member
When the motor was rebuilt was it a stock rebuild or did you add things like ported heads and cams? What about the MAF and injectors? Did you reuse the stock pieces or did you switch them out?

Porter68

Established Member
Ive tried resetting the computer many times. I know the air/fuel is the problem. Its getting too much air. Ive thought about deleting the iac. I can unplug my iac and nothing happens, nothing. Actually I can unplug like 2 or 3 sensors with vacuum hoses going to them and nothing happens with the engine running. Stock rebuild and was bored 60 over which is a huge bore on these engines. Injectors are stock and maf is stock I believe. I tried cleaning it and that didnt help anything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
First thing I would do is a compression check. Make sure all the cylinders are good. And it'll give you a chance to check the plugs. If those turn out ok then I would start looking through the intake. By that I mean take off the throttle body and check the gasket. Then the upper intake, then the lower intake. If the compression test is good then I'm betting you have a bad intake gasket somewhere.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Have you tried clocking your MAF? Is it installed back in the same place and rotation as originally? If you do not have the Mass Airflow Sensor in the correct stream of air, your computer will "hunt" for the right A/F mixture.

Users who are viewing this thread