Having issues, help needed!

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
My new Kenne Bell setup has been great and love the looks and power it brings...but an on going issue has lund and revan a bit stumbled as I...The issue is my knock sensors are going off between 4k-5k rpms at wot..I have 2 tunes from lund both 93 octane, one has some timing taken out..after running both mixed 93/c12 and straight c12 for 14 WOT pulls, only 2 pulls had little or no knock and the rest +2 to +4 knock..They have both came to a conclusion that the intercooler under the s/c is most likely soaked with oil due to the JLT separators possibly not doing its job..any way who has suggestions to what this could be? This also was an issue with my old pullied setup, pulled timing around same rpms..

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
My new Kenne Bell setup has been great and love the looks and power it brings...but an on going issue has lund and revan a bit stumbled as I...The issue is my knock sensors are going off between 4k-5k rpms at wot..I have 2 tunes from lund both 93 octane, one has some timing taken out..after running both mixed 93/c12 and straight c12 for 14 WOT pulls, only 2 pulls had little or no knock and the rest +2 to +4 knock..They have both came to a conclusion that the intercooler under the s/c is most likely soaked with oil due to the JLT separators possibly not doing its job..any way who has suggestions to what this could be? This also was an issue with my old pullied setup, pulled timing around same rpms..

I would say that is the cause of your knock. I deleted my PCV.

Also is there smoke coming out the exhaust when you are getting knock at higher rpm?

2016-10-08%2017.42.58.jpg

Last edited:

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Yes van told me to do that petersen catch can setup, where do I buy this and how to install? I dont believe there is smoke, car sounds/feels strong...How was your intercooler before installing the kb? I am just going to have to take it all off and clean the crap out of it...Most of my data logs show around 2 degrees of timing

Snoopy49

Established Member
The knock sensors can also be setoff by mechanical noise like metal rattling against the block. Check for loose parts in the engine compartment and under the engine that may be coming into contact with the block.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
The knock sensors can also be setoff by mechanical noise like metal rattling against the block. Check for loose parts in the engine compartment and under the engine that may be coming into contact with the block.

That is a good suggestion and I once thought it could be the headers, but again this was doing the same thing back with my old setup which had no headers..This is an ongoing issue since last year..And why would the car on 2 wot pulls with the tune that has some timing pulled back not have knock retard?

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Yes van told me to do that petersen catch can setup, where do I buy this and how to install? I dont believe there is smoke, car sounds/feels strong...How was your intercooler before installing the kb? I am just going to have to take it all off and clean the crap out of it...Most of my data logs show around 2 degrees of timing

I've had the 3.6 on there for a few years now, and I never gave much thought to the intercooler being soaked. As I never really had any knock with the stock Kenne Bell tune I used for the first 2 years. Then after the engine build and upping the boost I noticed at around 6k rpm I would get some knock and I look in the rear view mirror and see a cloud of smoke.

So I decided to get rid of the pcv, when I took off the throttle body the inlet of the super charger was SOAKED with oil. so i can only imagine how bad the intercooler is, I haven't cleaned it yet but I plan to this winter. It is the only way to make sure that all the oil is gone. I'm almost positive that if oil in your intake is the problem the car will blow smoke out the exhaust if oil is causing knock.

Hope this helps ya. This is just my personal experience in dealing with this.

Oh and the breather can be bought at Watson Racing. It need to be custom fabbed to fit the GT500, as its actually for the 5.0.

If ya need some help with install let me know, be happy to shoot you some pointers..

Rocketir

Established Member

I believe there were reports of the Carbon fiber intake causing the knock sensors to pull timing as well but I can't remember the exact details...
One another positive note, it looks like the search functionality has been restored!

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
So lund backed off the timing more to around 14* and no more of them going off...will be pulling the s/c off as well as the intercooler to clean it...hope this is the issue

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
So lund backed off the timing more to around 14* and no more of them going off...will be pulling the s/c off as well as the intercooler to clean it...hope this is the issue
Take some pics when ya get it out please. Lets see how she looks.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I know now after deep thought and research on here I put on about 1500 miles without a catch can, so looking back at some threads Van started I found one on should you have a separator or not? And his setup with just 1k miles had quite a bit of oil in it...So I am almost 100% convinced it is the intercooler that is causing my issue, allowing poor fuel quality even with c12 in it..So over the winter I will be on the hunt for the KB bigun intercooler

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Oil vapor and/or droplets are very bad news with high boost. With a clean intercooler and PCV vented to atmosphere, I bet your knock issues go away.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Oil vapor and/or droplets are very bad news with high boost. With a clean intercooler and PCV vented to atmosphere, I bet your knock issues go away.

I along with lund and van agree on this, I just was trying to eliminate any other possible causes.

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Where does the hoses route off the peterson can? I see nothing on top of the pcv valve opening near the oil cap

One hose goes to each valve cover, and the 3rd hose i have routed to exhaust underneath the car. I do that so I don't get the nasty smell/vapor in the cabin of the car. All other Peterson breathers will vent to atmosphere right from the top of the can, which is exactly where the cabin air filter is. So make sure if you intend to get one of these cans, to buy it from Watson Racing. To my knowledge they're the only ones that offer a sealed breather can.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
One hose goes to each valve cover, and the 3rd hose i have routed to exhaust underneath the car. I do that so I don't get the nasty smell/vapor in the cabin of the car. All other Peterson breathers will vent to atmosphere right from the top of the can, which is exactly where the cabin air filter is. So make sure if you intend to get one of these cans, to buy it from Watson Racing. To my knowledge they're the only ones that offer a sealed breather can.
Ok great thanks for that info, will be ordering this soon along with the kb bigun

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Ok, So I couldn't wait any longer lol, tore her apart again.
2016-11-02%2021.08.03.jpg

You can see right here that the discharge plate looks pretty nasty. You can see all the oil on the inside of the O ring. The discoloration on the other part of the discharge plate is factory Kenne Bell oil the KB instructions said to put on there, so thats fine. Also I remember seeing a thread on here a few weeks back about a guy who pulled his blower and was stating how dry his intercooler was and how great his catch cans work. At that I kind of have to laugh because to top of my intercoolers fins where dry too, and you can see that from this pic. I dont think you can judge how much oil can be in your intake by looking at it fromt he top, you have to go deeper. Everything has a layer of oil on it.

Now when you dig deeper you will more than likely find something like this.
2016-11-03%2001.56.47.jpg

2016-11-03%2001.56.52.jpg

My car has just under 17k miles, I have never opened up the intercooler before today. The car has had a Bobs Oil Separator on it since 2012 and 2000 miles or so. Kenne bell went on at 7k miles. If you plan on having a big power street/drag car there is no need for the PCV , just delete it and make sure your change your oil a little more often.

I'll be happy once this is all cleaned up and no more oil in my intake.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Wow thanks alot for that! I am sure mine looks very identical..I will be doing mine over the winter

merkyworks

Established Member
I thought without a PCV system you run the risk of pressure build up in the engine and blowing out oil pan, rear main and other seals?

Users who are viewing this thread