Having h-pipe installed but tune hasn't arrived yet.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
I'm scheduled to have an off road H-pipe installed first thing in the morning however the tune for this mod hasn't arrived yet.

Would it be safe to drive 20 miles or less (home from shop) without a specific tune for the off road h-pipe or should I postpone the h-pipe install until I have received the appropriate tune before driving it?

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
you'll be fine. a code may not even pop up since you are only going 20 miles.

If a code comes up, clear it before putting in the tune.

paluka21

Established Member
Car won't see pre and post cat O2 difference and there for it can't make the corrections.

Would that also be the case if someone went with a high flow cat H-pipe setup which retained the same location of the O2 sensors?

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your post. I'm just curious as to the constraints around modifications vs requiring a tune.

steeltoe

Established Member
Would that also be the case if someone went with a high flow cat H-pipe setup which retained the same location of the O2 sensors?

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your post. I'm just curious as to the constraints around modifications vs requiring a tune.

It would see a difference but the numbers would not be correct.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
Thanks for the info. H-pipe on (sounds great). No codes thrown or problems on the drive home. I did take it easy though and never got into the boost as mentioned above.

Tune came in this morning so I'm going to go flash it now.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
How much worse does the car smell, particularly when sitting at a light or backing into your garage?

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
The exhaust naturally smells stronger without the cats. I've had other mustangs without cats so I went into this being familiar with the strength of the odor. Outside it's not going to be bad most of the time. Stuck in bumper to bumper summer traffic with no wind might be a bad scenario though.

As for the garage, it doesn't take much of this cat-less exhaust to fume it up pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread