Having a time removing transmission

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Trying to replace my t45 and I've got everything out. However the transmission won't come free. I'm pretty sure it's never been removed. I know it's probably rusted to the dowel pins holding it but what is the best way to get it free?

Anyone near Aiken, sc want to give a hand? Lol

Chirp5957

Established Member
i know it sounds stupid, but make sure you got all the bolts out on top, there is 2 at the very top that are kinda tricky to get to.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Yeah I've got all 7 bolts out. This car has 122000 on the original clutch so I think it's just stuck.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Starter is out of the car. The transmission is flush against the motor. I can't get between them to use a pry bar.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Recheck again that all bolts are out and then spray with pb blaster. Then pull with your weight on the tailhousing to try and get them to seperate a little. If nothing else let it soak a bit with the pb and try again later.

CJK440

Established Member
Leave a couple bolts in a couple turns to keep the box from dropping right out once it frees up.

Just find a handy place to pry. There is a slot near the top of the bell but may be hard to reach without the intake off.

The steel block plate has corroded and bonded to the aluminum block and tranny. It will come off, but you have to fight it.

bornatiger

Established Member
There is a spot at about 7:30 on the bellhousing. I saw it quite a few times this weekend while putting my headers on. To me, it looked like it was for prying the tranny away from the motor. Just my $.02

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Just keep wiggling it around side to side like you got a Big girl on top of you. Put a couple bolts in, because when it comes loose it just like a fat girl, it will smash everything it touches.

97snakebite

Established Member
Just keep wiggling it around side to side like you got a Big girl on top of you. Put a couple bolts in, because when it comes loose it just like a fat girl, it will smash everything it touches.

had that happen to me on my 1st pulley...went to pull it just a lil but it just launched out and on me..thankfully the car wasnt super high

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Pb blaster then try again? Repeat attempt of prying until desired effect is reached.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member

I concur with this assessment. Start a couple of bolts and just grab the tail housing and give it hell.

Helomech74

Established Member
I use a large rubber mallet and tap around the bellhousing to break it free, works every time for me.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Just wiggle it.

It seems like its not moving and never going to come out and all of the sudden it breaks free. I fought with mine for probably about 45 mins before it came free

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
This thread cracks me up. I bet watching some of you remove a t45 is hilarious. I know I looked ridiculous. I hated every second of dealing with a t45.

Users who are viewing this thread