Havent read anythign about Gears???

ArkangelX3

Established Member
My dad has a MG 03, hopefully mine will come in during OCT. This is my first post, been reading SVTP for a few weeks. I havent seen anyone mention anything about what gears people are going with. Are most sticking with the 3.55? Any 4.10,,,,or more gutsy 4.50's? Gears and impressions. Thanx

Lobo

Established Member
Originally posted by ArkangelX3
My dad has a MG 03, hopefully mine will come in during OCT. This is my first post, been reading SVTP for a few weeks. I havent seen anyone mention anything about what gears people are going with. Are most sticking with the 3.55? Any 4.10,,,,or more gutsy 4.50's? Gears and impressions. Thanx

Well, call me numb in the butt, but the 4.10s didn't do much for me.
Every one of my bros here locally was hyping them like they were the second coming of christ. Difference like day and night. Uh yeah right.

Given that I brought it to the shop early in the morning when it was cold and picked it up when it was stinking hot, I didn't notice much of a change. Seriously, had he told me he put in 3.27s, I would have believed that, too.

Should have ordered 4.30s right away.

Lobo

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
is this a good price for gears? I was looking at the 4.10s, I would like my cobra to be daily driver as well as being high 11s in 1/4 mile, if anyone has a better price for gears or a better set, hook me up with that info, Id surely appreciate it. Also if anyone is switching to 4.30s or somthing, I will buy your 4.10s :p

http://www2.partshopper.com/catalog/itemdisplay/455.html

Last edited:

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
would I need the electronic ratio adapter? It says that it is a "must" but it doubles the price, is there another way to make speedo correct?

Silver 03 Cobra

Sure going from 3.55's to 4.10's aren't a big a kick in the butt as going from 3.27's. But, drive my car and then drive one equally powered with 3.55's and you'll be sold. I've owned three IRS Cobras and all had 4.10's. I can roll off in first to 15 mph and give it about 3/4 throttle and it'll roast the tires. It makes the cr easier to drive. You now have more grunt without having to give the engine enough throttle to generate boost. I also get 20 mpg on long trips. Funny that I got flamed two months ago for recommending and then installing a set. Soon, everybody will be wanting them.

You will need an Abbott to correct the speedo or it can be done with a chip. Cost from Houstonperformance is around $120. Installation is easy.

The best place to buy FRPP parts is www.buyfordmotorsport
4.10 gears are $139.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra racing

Established Member
I agree with the motorsport gears, I have installed hundreds of sets of gears in the last 15 years I have been screwing around with stangs (6 sets in the last week and a half) I only have problems with the aftermaket crap there is out there, Strange makes great rear end components but there 8.8 gears usually howl and are a B*TCH to set up. Precision is the same. Richmond gears are the only ones that seem to work and shim like the stock gears ( I was told that they make gears for ford) Just my 2 cents worth. :beer:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Using the Corral calculator (and T-45 fourth, same 1:1, eh), I show that 4.10s run the motor to 6,400 RPM at 119 MPH.

3.90s raise that to 125. (Stock 3.55s get you to 137, in fourth)

As long as you don't plan on trapping over 120 (and the requisite shift to fifth), 4.10s are great. If you mod like "Haveight", 3.55s are ideal for the drags...

jtfx6552

Established Member
What do you want to do with the car?
On the street on street tires, If you want it to be real "peppy" and feel faster get gears. If you want it to be faster spend the money on more HP. Anyone read that thread about the blown Viper? Too much torque on the street and you lose. With the pulley and chip, mine will break the rear tires loose slightly with a roll on throttle, IN Second! How much torque on the street can a car use? If you don't give a crap about handling, and don't mind taking your live in your hands if an unexpected rain should catch you on the street, you can drive on ET streets all the time, but that's not for me.

If you are running at the strip on slicks, then you can get a better ET with higher numerical gears. On DR's they might be better, although I'd like to see someone go to the track one week with DR's with the stock gears and the following week with the new gears (and no other changes) and actually improve before I'd believe it. On street tires they will make your ET worse.

Even with the stupid 2.66 low, an '03 has enough torque to 60 ft well, espescially if you go with a pulley and chip.

I've gotten 1.8 60 fts at all three local tracks (Atco, Cecil County and Maple Grove) on the stock F1's with the stock gears.

JT

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Wait and see what the top spots are in GB, KY at the end of the month are running. Then you'll know what gear to run. I'll put mine up against any equally powered car with 3.55's in an 1/8 or 1/4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammer

Established Member
I agree with Silver03Snake 100%.

I just had 4.10's done in my car. They were Motorsport gears and I would not go with any other brand. I had the work done at Crazy Horse Racing. The whole job (parts and labor out the door) was $750. Now that's about $100 more than some shops charge but mine were DONE RIGHT. No howl, no whine, no vibrations, no noise whatsoever.

Why is it so expensive to do gears? To do the job right, it's about 5-6 hours of labor. Wheels have to come off, IRS has to come apart, axles come out and whole third member is removed and worked on at a workbench for a few hours.

Mike Rozman is the head tech at Crazy Horse and does all the ring and pinion jobs. They are done right. I am very happy.

As far as performance with 4.10's over the stock 3.55's, many people have a wrong idea on this board. You can't feel the difference? You are smoking crack. Do 4.10's make the car lose any of it's drivability or luxury charm? No way...not if they are done right. No, the tires don't crack loose uncontrollably. But they can if you want them to. Is it harder to launch? A little bit...but EASILY adaptable.

4.10's are probably the lowest gear (numerically highest) that you can put in your snake without any sacrifice to the car's manners. It does make the car tach a bit more on the highway but I have EXACT measurements for those thinking about it:

At exactly 80 MPH in 6th gear, I am at exactly 2750 RPMs with the stock wheels/tires. Is that taching out? Naaaah!! It's fine.

Do 4.10's have a benefit for racing on stock tires? You can bet the WHOLE FARM on it. I have heard people say that 4.10's will only benefit for the 60'. IN A PIG'S EYE!!! :dw: I'll race ANY 03 with similar mods to mine but with 3.55's. We can race out of the hole or at any MPH roll and I will piss all over them. Hit it at 25 MPH? I'll pull on you...bigtime. 40 MPH? Bye-bye! 60 MPH? See ya.

What you get with 4.10's is a dramatically decreased time requirement in the car's ability to reach shifting RPM in EVERY gear. I shift from first to second at about 6400. I shift from 2nd to third at about 6400. I shift from third to fourth at about 6400. Instead of it taking 3-4 seconds between those shifts, it now takes 2 seconds flat. Why? Cause the car reaches 6400 RPMs that much faster with gears. Now you lose a bit of MPH at the various RPM's. That's the nature of lower gears. In other words, when I shift from second to third at 6400, I am at 55 MPH instead of 60 MPH now. But I am shifting between second and third before the 3.55's are anywhere near ready for the same shift.

The net result of the entire holeshot? The 4.10's will walk away from the car with stock gears...slicks; drag radials; stock tires...it doesn't matter....3-4 tenths quicker (apples to apples that is).

Now someone said HP is better than gears. There's two aspects of car performance that must be identified: fast and quick.

Fast: this is your MPH at the track. Fast is accomplished with HP and torque. It is never cut and dry...any good mod will improve both fast and quick to some extent. But a smaller pulley is largely a fast upgrade. Exhaust is largely a fast upgrade.

Quick: this is your ET. Quick mods may change MPH but only very little. But a good quick mod will GREATLY enhance your ET at the track. I think gears is the best quick mod we can do. 4.10's are perfect in my opinion. I don't have experience with any lower gears but all professionals tell me that going with a lower gear starts to create sacrifices in the car's drivability and comfort factors. I am not willing to do that.

Someone talked about the rev limiter in 4th gear with 4.10's. I haven't been to the track with the 4.10's yet but I can tell you this: In fourth at 6400 RPMs, I am at over 127 MPH. Now that's with stock wheels and tires. So I won't be bouncing off of the limiter up top...not with my mods. And a taller tire will make the MPH go up considerably. So we don't need to change the tires all the way up to 500 rwhp with 4.10's.

Like I said, my opinion is that they are awesome. Best mod to date.

Just my .02.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Since we're talking about gears....

I want to swap gears on my cars. I'd like to put the 4.10's from my 99 on the 03 and vice versa.

Will this be easier than a normal gear change? Should any of the parts be replaced with new?

I've had no problem with the 4.10's, no whine or anything. They've been on the car about 2K. They're just too much now with the Procharger.

Also, will a Speed Cal work on the 03?

Any input appreciated.

Tracy

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552

I've gotten 1.8 60 fts at all three local tracks (Atco, Cecil County and Maple Grove) on the stock F1's with the stock gears.

JT

Hey, John! You just aren't normal, bud. You are a drag racing machine. Anyone reading this, I can attest to John's 1.8's on stock tires...I've seen his time slips and I've seen him launch on the street. Yeah, line up against John and you are going home with a blistered ass.

You do us proud, JT.

Rich

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Funny that I got flamed two months ago for recommending and then installing a set
I wouldn't call that post "flaming you." Some were critical, some gave their opinion, some agreed. Sounds like a normal post! Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean it's a flame.

I still think 4.10's are too steep for this car. Sure, I bet she pulls better in every gear over 3.55's, but I think it's too much gear. 3.90's should do it. This is just my opinion and not a flame on you.

:rolleyes:

cobra racing

Established Member
Nobody makes a 3.90 gear for an 8.8 diff that I am aware of.
2.73-3.08-3.27-3.55-3.73-4.10-4.30-4.56-5.08 are the only gears available.
Anybody else heard of anything different?

46stang

Established Member
I was gung hoe for some 410's at first, but after diong my mods in the sig. i have taken a step back and desided to wait! It pulls like mad now and has no problem frying the tires! Also i would like to try some slicks eventually, the 410's will increase over all torque multiplication to the wheels. So with the torque the motor is allready making and now you multipling that even further with the 410's I'm not totally confident the IRS will be able to hang! jmho.I hope someone proves me wrong though:)
Also with the mph Haveight is turning in the 1/4 mile he would have to shift to 5th gear or maybe get taller tires? I would probably recommend 390's! Nothing like a gear debate to stir things up;-) take it easy guys.
Leon

cobra racing

Established Member
That is one gear I don't believe I have ever tried, The test to me is how close to the stock shim selection the aftermarket gears are. Then if they howl or vibrate.
Also if all the 03 cobras' have a vibration problem @ 80mph, then going up to a 4.10 gear, the vibe will come in sooner, like 72 mph if the vibe is actualy the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread