Have you used Race Gas?

Have you used race gas and/or a race gas tune?

• No. never.

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • yes, but only at the track (no tune for it though).

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Yes, I have along w/a tune for it. Only for the track.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Yes, at the track & the dyno along w/a tune for it.

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Have you used Race gas?

I've started this poll because of my curiosity, but I also believe that if many of you participate in it, that it will provide some good information for everyone here. This is a topic that most hi-perf car enthusiasts don't care to talk about. However, I don't see it as being advantagous to us as a group if people conceal things like this. So please participate. Particularly if you've made modifications to your car, and have Dynoed it, and/or raced it at the drag strip......

EDIT: oooops! I meant to make this a public Poll so that everyone can see who voted, but I failed to do that. Oh well, that might encourage more participation since some people like to be secretive about this anyway. So please participate in this anyway. It will be interesting to see what the percentages work out to be. And i for one am very curious, because it seems to me that more guys use race gas at the track, than those who don't. i for one have never used it at any time.

Last edited:

jrc347

Established Member
I've used race gas (114), with the 86 svo I had. It allowed me to produce full boost at the track, 25psi i think, by just unplugging the boost sybass solenoid. The motor was stock w/ a grand national intercooler. My best run was a 14.2 @ 90something mph. I've never used it in my other cars because I dont think I would have gained anything by using it. It would be interesting to see how much you could gain with a pullied terminator with race gas though. Maybe next time I go out to the track I'll put 5 gallons in the tank and see what happens.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
As far as I know, even N/A engines will have something to gain by using race gas as long as they also have engine tunes for that which include increased ignition timing advance. It's actually the increased timing advance that renders more power, but the greater octane allows you to run the increased timing safely w/out detonation.

C.K.

Established Member
you always gain something with race gas, it is much more explosive, so it creates more...i don't know the word, but anyway, you will gain horsepower

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
D0wnSHIFT said:
you always gain something with race gas, it is much more explosive, so it creates more...i don't know the word, but anyway, you will gain horsepower

Race gas is a waste of $$ most of the time unless you have a power adder or really high compression motor. Most street cars won't see any gain.

C.K.

Established Member
Labora said:
Race gas is a waste of $$ most of the time unless you have a power adder or really high compression motor. Most street cars won't see any gain.

ya i agree with you, i know M3'S can make power with higher octane

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
Yes I've used it many times; pretty much strictly for use with the nitrous, was able to run a little bit more timing with the race gas. Normally on stock 93 octane I had 6 degrees timing pulled out for nitrous. With the race gas I only pulled out 4 degrees but was still using same size shot (150hp jetting) and never had a problem. If I remember correctly this alone dropped a .10 not a whole lot but I guess a .10 is a .10. Take em any way you can get em.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
There are guys on the Marauder board who have used race gas alog with race gas tunes who have obtained 75 RWHP extra from that practice. Again, that's with the engine tune for the extra octane. but w/out a special tune for it, it wouldn't benefot to any noticeable amount.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
What, no selection for on the street?

I used to run it occasionally in my blown 95 gt. I'd tune fuel pressure and timing accordingly. Once i dialed it in, i knew exactly where it had to be for 93 or 110.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
110 unleaded is the same as 100 unleaded, so I run the 110 all the time...car has only seen one tank of 93 and that was the free one from the dealership

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
I use it when I spray my car. I've got a tune for it through my chip. If you're gonna run race gas, you should have a tune or some way of increasing timing or there's no point in running a higher octane fuel.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have run it through my 1990 GT with supercharger. I did it for safety reasons because of 140 degree track temperature. No special tune but I did notice about a .25 reduction in ET after putting in 3 gallons. I could tell a slight difference besides the ET. I always tried to add a little bit to the tank. You could get 100 at the local Texaco station in Bristol just down from the track or up to 118 at the track. I used the 115 because the pump manager said the 118 would probably burn right thru the pistons it burned so hot. Did not try the 118 because I was driving it home 3 1/2 hours away.

0TriZzlePhatRid

blk04cobra1 said:
110 unleaded is the same as 100 unleaded, so I run the 110 all the time...car has only seen one tank of 93 and that was the free one from the dealership

why do you run only race gas?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
for about a year i ran AV Gas in my 89LX
it made a big difference on even the stock motor, that and it smelled like candy :-D

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
I thought that the only 110 octane available is leaded, and that only the 100 octane is unleaded. That's important since the lead in gasoline will ruin your cats if you have any.

Users who are viewing this thread