have some questions about 07 GT500

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
This guy I know just purchased a 2007 GT500. Here is the thing, it is not a GT500. He has the full history of the car and purchased the car from the original owner. Here is the thing that is throwing me off.

The first owner bought the car brand new as a 2007 GT premium and sent it to Shelby for upgrades. He said that Shelby offered two options, Option 1 was full interior, dash, upper intake, full body, and paint. Option 2 was the full deal above but with the 5.4 and 6-speed, rear-end, etc. The first owner said that was the way you bought the 2007 GT500....to me sounded wrong to me. The guy bought Option 1 but the car has the silver dash plate with the build info and Shelby's signature. The other thing is the stripes are not painted I think, I think the are vinyl...?????

So the car is a GT premium with the 4.6L and 5-speed but has the full shelby interior, body kit, dash, and build dash plate of a GT500?:??: The car is afull clear title and clear history....any one able to explain? I am not fully educated on the GT500...

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
The gt500 came from ford not Shelby American. The stripes are all vinyl. The only cars that that you supply a GT to SA are the Shelby GT, and terilingua and gt350. Other options were supplying a gt500 from ford to SA to be converted to a 40th, super snake or 427.

Maybe you buddy bought a tribute gt500 that someone made personally. I have never heard of Shelby american swapping drivetrains to make a GT to a gt500.

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
The guy said it was sent to Shelby America and had everything put on by them, which is where I would assume he had the plaque for the dash made. They also put the CAI and upper intake on. Just wanting to understand what happend.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
well he could have taken the car to them and paid to have a gt500 drive train put in and a custom dash plaque made but that doesnt make it a gt500. Take the vin and call ford and see what it comes up as. Shelby didnt make any plain gt500's Ford produced them all.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Run the VIN. https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/

If it doesn't have T88S (position 5,6,7,8 in the VIN), it's not a GT500. T88 is for GT500; The S is for 5.4L

Does the Dash Plaque match the VIN and say GT500 on the bottom? People sell their dash plaques when they sell their car...I've seen several for sale.

You bought a 2007 GT500 by going to your local Ford dealer, not Shelby American.

You can buy a Shelby interior for just about anything: Shelby Upgraded Interior Package

You can also buy the GT500 body parts all day long for cheap.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
I don't believe SAI has ever offered option 2 with the 5.4L plus 6-Speed for a Mustang GT.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Sounds like the owner bought a GT brand new and had SA install all the interior and body parts...I was thinking when my friend told me that it sounded odd....

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Grab the VIN and let us know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread