Have not started it for awhile...

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
hey guys.... have a question... i have not started my 96 cbr in awhile.....reason blow my tranny an clutch bout year or 2ago... an left it sitting... finally getting off my butt an doing something about it... i know problay need a new batt. check fluids before i crank it.... ok question is do need to drop the gas tank an drain it??? an what about sea foam.... do i need to pour that in the tank.... if i am not covering every step pls correct me... much input would be appeciated.. thx guys

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I just changed the oil in mine, then started it. No problems here. Not sure what you're asking about the seafoam.

gt40lx

98slobraaaa
Established Member
Drain the tank, check the coolant level,check the plugs and wires, air filter, Put some cheaper oil in and fire it up, Then change the oil to somthing better or w.e oils u perfer, As for driving it droping the rearend cover and checking all that prolly wouldnt hurt either.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
I just changed the oil in mine, then started it. No problems here. Not sure what you're asking about the seafoam.

once i drain the gas tank...wondering if i should pour a can of seafoam with new gas? thx for the info guys....

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
once i drain the gas tank...wondering if i should pour a can of seafoam with new gas? thx for the info guys....

Draining the gas tank? Sorry I've never gone that far. The car is in Texas right?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Smell the gas, if it smells like varnish it still will burn but not a good idea to run it hard.

The best thing to do is drain it but it has been done without draining.
Seafoam in the gas may help a little.

How much gas in the tank?

Check all fluids, change oil if dirty. If you don't then let it get to running temp for a while to burn out any moisture in the oil.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
How much gas in the tank?

Check all fluids, change oil if dirty. If you don't then let it get to running temp for a while to burn out any moisture in the oil.

1/4 stampede...... still smells like gas.....lol.. an yes i am in texas....

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Mind you I don't live in Texas but I put my car away for about five months with a 1/4 tank of gas. I always fill it when I first take it out and top it off at the 3/4 mark a couple of times to dilute the old gas.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Turn the key a few times and get the fuel system primed.. then start her up.. You can add some gas additives that help for older gas. If its only been 2 years, I wouldnt worry about bad gas.. However I would go first thing and check the oil.. add some if you need it.. Then go right to the gas station and top it off.. Drive it to half a tank and fill it again.. Id also think about doing an oil change..

Users who are viewing this thread