Have idea for website potential high traffic, WHAT DO I DO?

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Hey guys. I will keep it simple, please help.

I have an idea for a site that by every measurement I look at will make 10k-100k hits (impressions?) per day. I do not know how to build a website. The style/format framework/layout whatever type of site has already been done and is a clear reference, I just want to apply that idea to my niche.

How do I move forward with this? How do I get someone to make a website and protect my idea at the same time from them stealing it? Do I need a special server for the traffic? What if I am hacked or attacked somehow?

I guess it boils down to, how do I get a website up soon without losing my idea and what do I do then. Someone please help! I can handle adding content myself to the pages as long as the input method is easy.. content I got..

Anyway, please help change my life haha

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I guess first thing is go SOMEWHERE and buy the relevant or related domain names?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Why don't you just PM me all of your ideas and I'll see if it's as good as you say. Then I'll help you. :D

Purchase a domain first and foremost. Then worry about building the site afterward. There are people you can hire to built a site for you or you can simply buy a templated site that fits with your site theme and then add to it later.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Haha I wish I could, I have two great ideas but this will be the first. I don't even know if I can make money off it, but it hasn't been done, its necessary, and sites in that niche are all at 10k-100k per day. And the content is all free info.. so I feel like its a win.

I guess buy the domains first. Not sure what I should go with, guess I will pick 5 and choose the best, or something. I will need to hire a developer to create a website who I can trust not to steal the idea, how do I do that?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well, it's hard to have someone build you a site and protect a great idea. However, it's possible but can get very expensive.

First, before you share your ideas you would need to create an NDA, (Non-Disclosure Agreement) / confidentiality agreement. It will forbid the person, (company) from sharing your idea with others without your consent. However, keep in mind these agreements are not worth the paper they are printed on if they are not enforced. Enforcement usually requires an attorney and can get very expensive.

Second, you need to contact a reputable coder with a lot of solid references to design your site. If you go offshore or to any random shoddy coder they will steal your idea, (assuming they see the value in it). A reputable coder can cost you big money though.. Usually they work for big web design companies and can charge upwards of $50,000 to create a professional site, (but it really depends on the complexity of the site).

Third, yes if you plan on receiving a lot of traffic and running server intensive scripts you will need a dedicated, (managed or unmanaged) hosting solution. A good managed solution will be more guarded against hackers, but will cost you more.

VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers - HostV VPS

I would suggest finding a business partner who is knowledgeable in this area before you invest thousands into an idea that may not be profitable at all.

You can PM me any questions if you want...

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
/www.howtobuildawebsiteforbeginners.comMake Your First Website[/url]:shrug:

Seriously though, if it were me, I'd research as much as I can about how to design a site. That's just me.

That's an affiliate link..Everyone is trying to cash in on the, "make money from home" schemes.

edit:

Here is a good beginner site..

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Start with basic HTML, then CSS, then move onto working with SQL databases, then PHP/ASP, etc..

Last edited:

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Thanks I will for sure have questions. I'm just on my cell right now.

I'm not sure on the cost of this. The website template I want to use is already out there as a reference to look at. The content is all stuff I can add. I really want to keep this as low cost as possible, and a little more looking into the niche shows really incredible traffic potential..

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Are there any good WYSIWYG editors I could possibly use? The website I basically want to copy is totally available, and it's not a trademarked thing or whatever, just a specific way to displaying content. That I can apply to a niche where the lowest sites are getting 10k-100k impressions a day.

For the cost of an hour or so of my time per day, the website being created, and server/hosting... I would need it to be 'easy' to input information daily though myself..

I can get a NDA for sure.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Are there any good WYSIWYG editors I could possibly use? The website I basically want to copy is totally available, and it's not a trademarked thing or whatever, just a specific way to displaying content. That I can apply to a niche where the lowest sites are getting 10k-100k impressions a day.

For the cost of an hour or so of my time per day, the website being created, and server/hosting... I would need it to be 'easy' to input information daily though myself..

I can get a NDA for sure.

Not sure, what you're asking is a little vague. Is the content dynamic or static? As for being able to input information, what you're describing sounds like you might be looking for a CMS like Drupal or even Wordpress. You could install Drupal and build like a funny picture site that has different features.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
I actually came up with the same idea about a month ago and ive been learning as much as i can as fast as i can, ive found a partner(fraternity alumni) who i trust to do the page and im researching the info for the website, i think i can pull quite a lot of traffic and there are quite a few expansion ideas ive got.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Use caution when you are checking the availability of your domain name. There was some shadyness going down at some registrars where they were snapping up domain names that didn't exist just because someone checked their availibility. If it is still availabe, I would purchase it for the longest period you can afford. This is one of the first thing the SEO people tell you. Also you may want to get .net .com .org etc and then go to the popular web mail providers (gmail,aol,yahoo,hotmail etc) and register [email protected] so no one can impersonate you later on.

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
As a web design company owner.. We get guy's with million dollar ideas all the time. But to be honest.. 99% of the time it has already been done you just have not found the link to it.

if you are serious about it and have $$ to get things started. the best way is to set up a contract stating you own full right to your idea's. If you need further information PM me and we can start from there.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
The very first step should be to ensure that no one else has already implemented your ideas.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
No one has implemented for sure. Its not even selling anything, it just dawned on me that wow, a site doing this, if it averaged what the other 20 other sites traffic is...it'd ne around 20k viewers.

Static content to input...very basic actually. I will pm and talk more am on cell driving. And to that other guy with the same idea, I HOPE not the same idea, haha. I don't even know if site traffic can generate income. I just thought of a killer resource is all..

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Use caution when you are checking the availability of your domain name. There was some shadyness going down at some registrars where they were snapping up domain names that didn't exist just because someone checked their availibility. If it is still availabe, I would purchase it for the longest period you can afford. This is one of the first thing the SEO people tell you. Also you may want to get .net .com .org etc and then go to the popular web mail providers (gmail,aol,yahoo,hotmail etc) and register [email protected] so no one can impersonate you later on.

That's rare, but I do remember it was happening with one reputable registrar. I've been using godaddy and have never had a single issue like that. I check all sorts of domains and sometimes don't register them until weeks/months later.

As a web design company owner.. We get guy's with million dollar ideas all the time. But to be honest.. 99% of the time it has already been done you just have not found the link to it.

I didn't want to shoot down his optimism but I agree, and the reason for that is getting people to find your website is the hardest part. I've been making a full time living as a webmaster, and all I can say is it's not as easy as it seems. I'd like to say at least 80% of trying to make a full time living in this biz will give up.

Reputable/best place to check and purchase domain names?

Godaddy or namecheap. Godaddy has the best prices if you find coupon codes. Just don't buy godaddy's hosting, it's horrible and overpriced.

Last edited:

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Perfect, thanks guys. I will have more questions. I don't expect to make a living, I don't even know how id make money off it. It IS a resource sorely needed in this niche, I think advertising will in a way solve itself do to the nature of it all.. I am crazy optimistic but am looking hard for anything that makes this unrealistic and I don't see anything. My biggest hurdle is site creation, and honestly with another site available to sneak peeks at source code and a good wysiwyg editor.. maybe I can do this!

Totally confused on hosting. If I have the domain name am I hosted? What if traffic starts flowing in, will I be emailed or something say, uh...you need to pay for more bandwidth or do they just block the site or what?

Godaddy it is. Thanks guys. Anything at all comes of this I will get you responders back somehow.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Perfect, thanks guys. I will have more questions. I don't expect to make a living, I don't even know how id make money off it. It IS a resource sorely needed in this niche, I think advertising will in a way solve itself do to the nature of it all.. I am crazy optimistic but am looking hard for anything that makes this unrealistic and I don't see anything. My biggest hurdle is site creation, and honestly with another site available to sneak peeks at source code and a good wysiwyg editor.. maybe I can do this!

Totally confused on hosting. If I have the domain name am I hosted? What if traffic starts flowing in, will I be emailed or something say, uh...you need to pay for more bandwidth or do they just block the site or what?

Godaddy it is. Thanks guys. Anything at all comes of this I will get you responders back somehow.

You have to buy hosting, you can get cheap shared hosting here..

Web Hosting, Website Hosting, Unlimited Domain Hosting, Multiple Domain Hosting - CirtexHosting

Once you sign up for hosting they will give you 'nameservers'. Go to godaddy and go into the 'manage domains' section, then click on your domain, then click 'nameservers'. Replace the default ones with the nameservers cirtex provided you with. Then go into your cpanel on cirtex and click on, 'add new domains'. Then just type in the name of the domain and you're done.

As for bandwidth, get a cheap plan first, if you use up your bandwdith then upgrade later.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Perfect, thanks. Keeping it simple for stupid over here, haha, I appreciate it!

$70 a domain name is more than I thought! Looks like I have to register through interNic, and those other sites - maybe not godaddy, this is all above my pay grade - just kinda charge for using their service, when I can just go to internic and do it myself? I am referencing this site, which I hope is reputable. How to Buy a Domain Name / WebDeveloper.com ®

I am going to mess with some web page editors today, starting with... Looks like something called Artisteer, at Artisteer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I think I will also download, ummm... Coffeecup at CoffeeCup HTML Editor - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Basically am looking at top downloads for these programs at CNet and gonna try a couple: Web Site Tools - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

You guys have been a ton of help and I know I will have more questions, I will surely PM a couple of you or keep posting here. I know million dollar ideas are common, I don't even understand how I'd make money off this and that's really secondary.. Okay, no, if money comes in, wow thank god, I am a single Dad to a 2yo, a wounded veteran, and I just got laid off. But I am not focused on money, this is just REALLY something a large community needs...and no one has done. So I figure, f it, you miss every chance you don't take.

$70 for a domain name is more than I thought, I had wanted to pick up like 5-10 domains to kinda cover all bases, close out any easy competition URLs...but oh well. Maybe three max.

Okay, lunch for the daughter, then more brainstorming and experimenting...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread