Have a question as to Texas Firearm Laws

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
Any LEO that know Texas Laws please provide some insight and help regarding a question that I have.

I am seeking the exact laws, regulations and rules concerning shooting on private land outside of city limits, and the liabilities involved. I am not opposed to possessing and shooting in a safe manner.

I live outside of city limits in an area where a neighbor shoots his weapons and has recently had a stray round hit my dog. My dog was next to my children's swingset. This places the individuals with their weapons pointed in the general direction of my house.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
If they are shooting on their own private land I believe its legal...as long as they are so many yards away from another house/property.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
I'm hoping to gather as much information as possible about any laws or ordinances about this issue. I am not sure of all the distances from where they were shooting to my house/land. Its not very far, the shooters land is sandwiched between a F.M. road that has a good amount of traffic and where my house is located. The distance from my house to the main road is a few hundred yards. The same area where the bullet came from. Getting the correct information as to exact distances would be great.

I guess I am looking to see how much liability will be on the shooters. This time its only the dog and a vet bill. Im not trying to have a next time with a person or my kid being hit by a round coming from the next plot of land.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
Thats what I dont know. Im not home to see if there is any backstop or berm. Im doing my research a few thousand miles away. My wife and kids are the ones at home right now dealing with this issue.

Whatever is being used has failed. Regardless of what they use as a backstop, I dont like the idea of weapons being discharged towards my house. The area where I live is not really an area I would consider ideal to shoot. These neighbors have land that is surrounded by other people's land and homes on 3 sides, then a road on the other. So they are shooting on their property that is surrounded.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
just have your wife call the police to come over, they will be more than happy to explain the laws and ordinances to her and also can go over to the neighbors and check for compliance...also google is the easiest place to look up local laws

txyaloo

Established Member
How many acres are they/you on? There's several factors depending on your location. He is responsible for his projectiles. If one hit your dog, I hope you called the police, because that is a criminal charge. There are a few charges the shooters could be hit with:

A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY
LINE. (a) In this section, "firearm" has the meaning assigned by
Section 62.014(a).
(b) A person commits an offense if:
(1) the person, while hunting or engaging in
recreational shooting, knowingly discharges a firearm; and
(2) the projectile from the firearm travels across a
property line.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that
the person:
(1) owns the property on both sides of each property
line crossed by the projectile; or
(2) has a written agreement with any person who owns
property on either side of each property line crossed by the
projectile that allows the person to discharge a firearm on, over,
or across the property or property line.
(d) The written agreement required under Subsection (c)(2)
must:
(1) contain the name of the person allowed to hunt or
engage in recreational shooting in a manner described by Subsection
(b);
(2) identify the property on either side of the
property line crossed by the projectile; and
(3) be signed by any person who owns the property on
either side of the line crossed by the projectile.
(e) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and
Wildlife Code misdemeanor.
(f) If conduct constituting an offense under this section
constitutes an offense under a section of the Penal Code, the person
may be prosecuted under either section or both sections.

§ 22.05. DEADLY CONDUCT.

(a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury.

(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly discharges a firearm at or in the direction of:

(1) one or more individuals; or

(2) a habitation, building, or vehicle and is reckless as to whether the habitation, building, or vehicle is occupied.

(c) Recklessness and danger are presumed if the actor knowingly pointed a firearm at or in the direction of another whether or not the actor believed the firearm to be loaded.

(d) For purposes of this section, "building," "habitation," and "vehicle" have the meanings assigned those terms by Section 30.01.

(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the third degree.

Last edited:

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
ok, thanks for all the help.

The sheriff has finally made a decision. The shooter was arrested and will be charged. The charges will be on the lines of endangerment with the houses being so close. Cruelty to animals for hitting the dog and he will be liable for the bills. wont see the bill taken care right away until after a court hearing.

i was looking and researching this in the event that I would have had to laywer up and pursue any legal matter. Doesnt appear I will be doing that route. ill wait and let the sheriff and court handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread