Have a dilemma. Axle bearings bad.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Here is what happened. Drove my '96 Cobra to the mechanic to have my suspension stuff installed (Springs, shocks,struts, LCA's as well as new tie rod ends and A arms) Drove the car about 15 miles to his shop with no issues with the axle noise at all, matter of fact have been driving the car as a DD for the past month with zero issues.
The install took about a day and a half and I got the call at work that my car was available for pick-up. No mention was made on the phone about the axle problems. I get there and talk to the guy behind the counter and he mentions that my car has a bad grinding sound in the rear, sounds like bad bearings, suggest I need it looking into. Since I have been driving it a lot I did not give it much thought so I go on my way.
As soon as I get on the road the rear is making a roaring sound and I mean it is loud! There is no way in hell that I overlooked that noise before so I pull over and call the shop, telling the owner that I'm coming back. Put the car on the lift, he searches with a stethoscope while the wheels are spinning and yes, it sounds like bad bearings.
This is my question, could this have happened with someone abusing my car while at either that shop or the alignment shop to which it was delivered to ?
Bad bearings to my knowledge get worse gradually at time and fail due to low oil or contamination. I mean, the car was driven about a couple of miles while I'm away and all of a sudden it gets loud??? Any ideas, please.
Here is some more info:
Rear axle seals seem to be fine, can't find any leaks.
No visible damage to the car or wheels and tires
Same mechanic rebuilt whole rear end about 2 years ago
Odometer is broke so I don't know how long it was driven
And I'm going to another mechanic to get this issue fixed-when I get enough money to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread