Have a cold air kit?

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
I was in the process of ordering a cold air kit for my 98 Cobra? When I took out the stock air filter cannister and looked through the large whole of the fender well I saw a rubber hose extending up with a rubber cap. It, as well as another hose or 2, plus a couple of smaller lines go into a somewhat large box/unit. Anyone know what this is? I do not see how an "in the fender " type air filter will fit with this thing. Anyone ever figure out how to get around this and use the cold air kit or am I screwed as far as cold air kits? Thanks!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
:idea: It's a rotator-gurter-splint-capacitator, controls the flux-variations in the gyro-pneumatic bearing-pump.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
RippinSVT said:
:idea: It's a rotator-gurter-splint-capacitator, controls the flux-variations in the gyro-pneumatic bearing-pump.
:lol: :lol: of course it is...

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
You could always run the RAI instead of sticking something inside the fenderwell. That way if you run over a big puddle you wont suck air into your nice ass engine. With a charger like that you could stand to suck in so mo' air. I highly recommend the RAI from JLT. Quality product at an incredibly affordable price. Looks something like this
IMG_0905.jpg

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I bought the Densecharger CAI cause it is black PVC and will not get hot like chromed plated steel, thus keeping the air cooler as it enters. The only problem I had was that I could not use the second adjustable elbow that goes into the fender well. They claim you can adjust the direction of the filter, but with that tube sticking up you mentioned, there just wasn't room. I modified it and it works perfect with the K&N in the fenderwell. By the way, were are those dyno results we've been waiting for since the addition of the KB? I am seriously jealous!

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
doubletrouble said:
You could always run the RAI instead of sticking something inside the fenderwell. That way if you run over a big puddle you wont suck air into your nice ass engine. With a charger like that you could stand to suck in so mo' air. I highly recommend the RAI from JLT. Quality product at an incredibly affordable price. Looks something like this
IMG_0905.jpg

Unfortunately, any exposed under the hood filter will void my warranty on the blower. I had a large K&N, but went back to stock after I installed the blower. Guess I will give KB a call and see if there is a way to relocate that thing (whatever that thing in the fender is)...however, it looks like it would be one huge pain in the arse! :fm:

Last edited:

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
I bought the Densecharger CAI cause it is black PVC and will not get hot like chromed plated steel, thus keeping the air cooler as it enters. The only problem I had was that I could not use the second adjustable elbow that goes into the fender well. They claim you can adjust the direction of the filter, but with that tube sticking up you mentioned

So, I take it your Cobra has all that stuff in the fender well (passenger side)? Do you know what it is? Sure would like to get some more cool air into that KB!!!!!

I'm installing a couple of gauges and hopefully figure out how to install a cold air system that works. Afterwards I will get it dynoed.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
thats the smog pump, i didn't run into any problems with my WMS in-fender set-up, but i don't thing a JLT CAI or something like an AFM pipe would work because they would run into the pump. Call up KB and ask him if you could use their plastic CAI without voiding the warranty. it makes little sense that a intake like the RAI pictured above would void the warranty but something like a JLT CAI that sits about 6inches off the ground that could suck up water very easily wouldn't. :shrug:

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member

mustangdan429

Established Member
i noticed that huge hose thing when i installed my BBK. i tried to shove the filter by it but couldnt. my friend came over and some how got it in there. anyone with a JLT CAI run into this hose? how did you overcome it?

sorry to hijack thread :beer:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Ive got a BBK, may be selling it if interested, looks good under the hood, epscially would go nice with the KB ;)

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The K&N Filter that came with it fits just above the smog pump "tube" or whatever that is when it is clamped to the PVC pipe. Go to Densecharger's website and check it out. I meant to call them and claim :bs: on the second elbow being able to move it around for better air flow. There is no way you can use it with the smog pump in the way.
Yell98CobraVert said:
Hersheyman said:
I bought the Densecharger CAI cause it is black PVC and will not get hot like chromed plated steel, thus keeping the air cooler as it enters. The only problem I had was that I could not use the second adjustable elbow that goes into the fender well. They claim you can adjust the direction of the filter, but with that tube sticking up you mentioned

So, I take it your Cobra has all that stuff in the fender well (passenger side)? Do you know what it is? Sure would like to get some more cool air into that KB!!!!!

I'm installing a couple of gauges and hopefully figure out how to install a cold air system that works. Afterwards I will get it dynoed.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
No offense but the RAI looks like ass. Very little tube and lotsa nasty couplers. Now I understand that this isnt any sort of extension of the factorcy CAI. I had the WMS set up on mine and didnt encounter any problems; and havent seen anyone else mention any.

I've got the WMS cai on my 98 Cobra with no fitment issues. Check it out on www.wmsracing.com I went with the ceramic coated unit from the maf to fender. They said less heat transfer with the ceramic units.

Last edited:

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
cobra4v said:
I've got the WMS cai on my 98 Cobra with no fitment issues. Check it out on www.wmsracing.com I went with the ceramic coated unit from the maf to fender. They said less heat transfer with the ceramic units.

Did you have that rubber tube sticking up inside the fender well? Did you notice a difference in performance with the WMS? Thanks!

98svtconvert

Established Member
i have the bbk cai. i just take the fender liner out to get to it. much easier than trying to squeeze it past that emisions crap. the filter fits fine and it doesn't doesn't get dirty at all. i clean it every six months just because but it isn't very dirty at all when i take it out. just take the wheel off and drop the front of the wheel well out of the way.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
Did you have that rubber tube sticking up inside the fender well? Did you notice a difference in performance with the WMS? Thanks!
I did not notice any rubber tube sticking up inside the fender well. The cai and s/c were installed and dyno at the same time...helping the performance of the car...hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread