Have 10K to spend on upgrades, need advice on how to get the most out of it!

digital911

Established Member
Let me give you a small back ground on the car. It's a 04 cobra vert. Bought it in 2009 with 16k miles on it.
It had a K&N FPIK and X pipe with magnaflow catback exhaust.

About a year after I had the car, I changed the upper pulley to 2.8", added dual bearing tensioner system, added rear diff brace, added a promotionperformance 600hp clutch and a 26spline shaft on the t56 transmission and a McLeod throw out bearing retainer sleeve. Bought an SCT handheld and got it custom dyno tuned. Car put down 492HP/514# TQ in 35ish degree weather.

I have been driving it daily since then to and from work.

About 2 years ago I purchased a lethal budget return style fuel system, 60# injectors, and SCT MAF 2600. These fuel parts are still sitting in the box brand new.

Here we are in end of 2015 and car has 59K miles on it and car is now paid off.

As a reward to myself of a good year, and before the car gets too old (and me too), I want to take it to the next level.

I have 10K (not firm) to invest and I am looking for more power (reliable but also capable of being violent, hard pulling, etc) better suspension for reducing wheel hop and lowering the car, and much louder exhaust (not a raspy exhaust) - just a good sounding loud one - something like Borla stingers. And a new clutch as mine is getting worn and starting to make the beginning sounds of possible throw out bearing failure.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, please let me know what ya'll would do:

Power:

1) Replace factory eaton with TVS 2.3 with GT500 inlet and TB (need to purchase)
1a) Install lethal budget fuel system with new MAF (already own)

Suspension:
2) Install FTBR complete IRS bushing kit plus a Global West FLSFC (need to purchase)
2a) No idea what to do to lower the car (need to purchase)
2b) What about shocks/struts? (would need to purchase)

Exhaust:

3) Remove current X pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and replace with Borla stingers + what kind of mid pipe?
3a) Should I go with headers? (need to purchase all exhaust parts)

Clutch:
4) McLeod RXT Twin clutch kit with aluminium flywheel (need to purchase)

So that's the cliff notes version of what I'm looking to do. I have a few major questions in my mind such as should I even go supercharged or move to turbo setup? What about keeping the eaton and adding a turbo for compound boost?
In the exhaust department, should I be looking into headers, or would the cash be better spent elsewhere?
Are the Borla Stingers the best way to go still? What about the suspension and the FTBR?

I know many of you already went through what I am trying to get to and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

cj428mach

Established Member
The only tweaks I'd make are to

*Sell the Lethal Budget system, 60's. Buy an e85 capable FORE system with ID1000 injectors.

*Maybe look at the Centerforce DYAD clutch.

If you want a TVS you need to buy one now, I think Lethal will have the TVS for sale again on the 24th of this year. It saves like $400+ if you go with the GT500 setup.

Me personally I would stay away from headers. You can make 700+rwhp on the manifolds with no headaches.

Last edited:

digital911

Established Member
The only tweaks I'd make are to

*Sell the Lethal Budget system, 60's. Buy an e85 capable FORE system with ID1000 injectors.

*Maybe look at the Centerforce DYAD clutch.

If you want a TVS you need to buy one now, I think Lethal will have the TVS for sale again on the 24th of this year. It saves like $400+ if you go with the GT500 setup.
I don't have access to e85 fuel here. I'm on gulf Coast (full of gasoline refineries )

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Headers make power but are a complete PITA to install and to seal. You look like you have a pretty good list. I'll be selling my entire maximum motorsports suspension including coil overs MM valved bilstiens and k-memember/a-arm setup if you end up deciding to get a really nice suspension

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
1) Call Jason Roth (TRBOVNM) for all your parts needs!
2) Definitely go with the VMP with GT500 combo
3) Existing Fuel upgrades are plenty on 93
4) Definitely upgrade to the RXT
5)FTBR 5001 kit with diff cover, upgrade the shocks and struts to the TOKICO D specs
6)Find H&R race springs
7)UPR K member but keep your stock A Arms- better ride quality
8)Upgrade to JLT RAI
9)ARH 1-3/4 headers and Xpipe to borla
10) Tune and ENJOY

10 easy steps to great power and awesome handling!:dancenana:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
5)FTBR 5001 kit with diff cover, upgrade the shocks and struts to the TOKICO D specs
6)Find H&R race springs
8)Upgrade to JLT RAI
10) Tune and ENJOY

YES! Very simple and probably the most straight forward way to upgrade your existing car.

If you are driving the car most days, this would be my choice and is pretty darn close to my current setup. I am looking at headers and front kmember next.

Keep in mind, you will be able to tune your TVS with a 2.8 upper pulley on 93. However, if you want to change it up from time to time on the weekends and get more enjoyment, than get an additional tune with a 2.6 pulley and do a 93/109 mix for fuel. I DO NOT USE TORCO.

Between the two tunes on a dyno jet my torque jumped from 585 to 606 to the rear wheels, and that is really what makes these cars fun

Tires.....your gonna need something stickier, go with a an R888 out back. Great for traction and you can safely drive them on damp or wet pavement

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Avoid UPR like the plague for a "street" car. Make a ton of noise and are not anything I'd want on a daily driver. I'd personal check out that Steeda K-member if you want to go K-member and keep factory a-arms. Otherwise MM is a great choice.

94slowbra1

Established Member
your on the right track. mods depend on what you want out of the car; dd, weekend car, drag oriented, handling oriented, ect... the first thing you need to do is get the chassis stiffened up since you are a vert and plan on making some good power. stifflers has a nice set up with FLSC, jacking rails and web bracing. then you can add power
here would be my list. i also own a vert with a 2.3 with all supporting mods. and im in new orleans so i know you area depending where is south La you are
stifflers fit system $420
FTBR bushing kit and ford racing diff cover $1000
fuel system, install and keep what you have. its enough to support your power and we dont have e85 and i dont think we ever will $free
vmp with gt500 t/b $3700 if you catch it on sale
lowering springs. your choice here depending on how low and what kind of ride you are looking for. most run h&r race. $300
shocks and struts. verts have softer valving than the coupes. again depends of goals of the car. id run bistein hd at all corners $700
new clutch, pick you favorite. i love my spec stage 3+. $500
this is the basics. right now it would be about 6600. this leaves you some cash for misc things, the tune and some tires.
like i said before, i have a car like you are wanting to build and im close. hit me up if you want to check anything out, id be glad to help. good luck

digital911

Established Member
6)Find H&R race springs
8)Upgrade to JLT RAI
10) Tune and ENJOY

For the FTBR, what's the difference between the 5000 and 5001 kit? Do I really need a different diff cover? I have an IRS brace on the stock diff.

For the ARH headers, will this make changing the clutch not possible without removing a portion or all of the headers?

Would you go with a global west Full Length Sub Frame Connector (remember I have a convertible)?

thanks!

digital911

Established Member
YES! Very simple and probably the most straight forward way to upgrade your existing car.

If you are driving the car most days, this would be my choice and is pretty darn close to my current setup. I am looking at headers and front kmember next.

Keep in mind, you will be able to tune your TVS with a 2.8 upper pulley on 93. However, if you want to change it up from time to time on the weekends and get more enjoyment, than get an additional tune with a 2.6 pulley and do a 93/109 mix for fuel. I DO NOT USE TORCO.

Between the two tunes on a dyno jet my torque jumped from 585 to 606 to the rear wheels, and that is really what makes these cars fun

Tires.....your gonna need something stickier, go with a an R888 out back. Great for traction and you can safely drive them on damp or wet pavement

No torco for me either, always 93 octane and that's it...

Is it possible to get in the 700ish HP range with a TVS 2.3 setup and stock engine?

Forgive my ignorance but what does a kmember do for you exactly?

R888's I've heard great things about them. I have some 10.5" replica wheels for the back that I could put a set of R888 315's on!

digital911

Established Member
your on the right track. mods depend on what you want out of the car; dd, weekend car, drag oriented, handling oriented, ect... the first thing you need to do is get the chassis stiffened up since you are a vert and plan on making some good power. stifflers has a nice set up with FLSC, jacking rails and web bracing. then you can add power
here would be my list. i also own a vert with a 2.3 with all supporting mods. and im in new orleans so i know you area depending where is south La you are
stifflers fit system $420
FTBR bushing kit and ford racing diff cover $1000
fuel system, install and keep what you have. its enough to support your power and we dont have e85 and i dont think we ever will $free
vmp with gt500 t/b $3700 if you catch it on sale
lowering springs. your choice here depending on how low and what kind of ride you are looking for. most run h&r race. $300
shocks and struts. verts have softer valving than the coupes. again depends of goals of the car. id run bistein hd at all corners $700
new clutch, pick you favorite. i love my spec stage 3+. $500
this is the basics. right now it would be about 6600. this leaves you some cash for misc things, the tune and some tires.
like i said before, i have a car like you are wanting to build and im close. hit me up if you want to check anything out, id be glad to help. good luck

I'm in the NO area too! I PM'd you some info..

What I am looking to get out of the car is a mean street machine that pulls really hard and can get out of a hole without crazy wheelhop. I am not so concerned about road noise and to a degree ride comfort. It's a convertible anyway so it's noisy to begin with plus a new exhaust will be even noisier. I do want much better handling than what I have now, so I would like to invest in good suspension mods. After all you need a good suspension to handle lots of power increase. I am not looking to race it on a track or drag strip. Although I will take it to get my time for the record once all parts are installed.

I am hoping this TVS 2.3 is going to be violent enough for me. I road in a buddy's GTO with a turbo system last weekend and the low end isn't like my car but once that turbo spools you better hang on. He claims it has 700 hp to the rear wheels - I don't doubt that in the higher RPM range. That thing is pretty bad ass and I would like to have a car equal to or better power wise. Question is will the TVS 2.3 provide?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I can tell you there isn't a better sounding cobra than mine that's still rocking the stock manifolds. Those borla stingers sound to raspy for me.

Headers normally won't gain a lot of hp though, especially if running lower boost levels.

digital911

Established Member
I can tell you there isn't a better sounding cobra than mine that's still rocking the stock manifolds. Those borla stingers sound to raspy for me.

Headers normally won't gain a lot of hp though, especially if running lower boost levels.

really, I heard several videos of borla stingers and thought they sounded great. I definitely don't like raspy. Raspy to me would be SLP loudmouths.

Do you have a video to share with your sound?

also with you LT headers do you have issues when you need to change your clutch that you have to remove the headers?

digital911

Established Member
What about a killer chiller to add to the list, or some mod to keep the temps down feeding into the intake? I live in SE Louisiana and we get some really hot and humid summers down here. I can tell you my performance dramatically drops during these times. But a day like today with 40-50 degree weather and low humidity I'm pushing close to 490hp/500# tq. I'd like for this new setup to be able to run consistent power no matter the weather. is this possible?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
really, I heard several videos of borla stingers and thought they sounded great. I definitely don't like raspy. Raspy to me would be SLP loudmouths.

Do you have a video to share with your sound?

also with you LT headers do you have issues when you need to change your clutch that you have to remove the headers?

Only problem is it's inside the car and you won't get the full effect. It truly has a different sound. I've honestly never liked the sound of stingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USfE_nSpXnk

Last edited:

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
Wow what a reward!:burnout:

Kind of sucks that turbo is not in the picture for 10k? :shrug: but if turbo is the main goal ,why not wait ? I see that you daily drive it, what's the law on off road only parts like the tvs? The first ref ticket can be paid , the 2nd time you are caught you will be forced to show cab numbers or put back the stock parts.

digital911

Established Member
Wow what a reward!:burnout:

Kind of sucks that turbo is not in the picture for 10k? :shrug: but if turbo is the main goal ,why not wait ? I see that you daily drive it, what's the law on off road only parts like the tvs? The first ref ticket can be paid , the 2nd time you are caught you will be forced to show cab numbers or put back the stock parts.

Happy to report I'm in a red state and we don't have to worry about modded cars too much here...

I was thinking turbo as well but my tuner said it's not worth it that the tvs 2.3 is absolute best way to go. He's just one guy, but around here tuners are hard to come by and the car will need to be supported in the end by the tuner. I would love to hear some 1st hand experience from owners that swapped from SC to turbo and hear the pros/cons. My main concern would be reliability issues going turbo, and will the engine hold up over time?

02gt87

Established Member
My question is how the heck did you put down 492 with just a stock eaton w/pulley and exhaust and intake? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread