Has anyone used both the Nitto 555R and NT05R drag radials.... Need opinion...

carguy19

Established Member
What was the difference in traction.

I am torn because I dont go to the track that much, but my car will eventually be north of 700whp.

I dont want to buy the 555 if they are only slightly better then stock tires. The stock GYs are like t*ts on a bull.

If the 555 and nt05r are kind of close (a difference of a .10 or .20 on a 60 ft and 1/4 mile), I'd rather the more street friendly 555.

Looking for someone that has had both to comment.

paluka21

Established Member
The NT05R will hook better than the NT555R, as it's tread pattern is different, and perhaps the compound is softer. Neither tire are even in the same ballpark as far as hook goes with the stock Goodyears. Night and day difference. Either way, you will be improving, although the 555R's will be a little more friendly in the rain if that's a concern, and NT05R better on dry surfaces, although I don't know by how much....

carguy19

Established Member
paluka have you had both tires?

Ive read countless reviews myself, I just want to know if anyone has real experience with both especially on a 600 + HP car.

I've spoken to friends with 300hp camaros that have had both, but you cannot get a good idea from that.

paluka21

Established Member
Yes I have, but not on my Shelby.
You may want to catch up with biminilx as I believe he's had both tires on his Shelby, although I could be wrong.

Johnny GT500

Established Member
I've been in my buddies 700hp plus shelby with 373 gears and he runs the 555rs. They really hook well, even in first gear! I've been going back and forth between those and the mpss. I'm around the 700 hp range and def need to upgrade soon. The gys are great tires in the right conditions. However, all tires are gonna spin with this much power.

lovebread

Established Member
In for any more responses. I was just told by my shop to shy away from the 555/555R combo because it won't be great for cornering, but then they recommended Sumitomo Z3s and I lost total respect for them.

Looking at 275 40 18 fronts and 305 40 or 45 18 rears.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I plan to run the NT05r. I've used the 555r before and I typically tell people they are a great street tire. I wouldn't put them in the drag radial class even though they are a DR. Compared to the ET Street Radial or even NT05r, the 555r isn't in the same league. If you want a good street tire, the 555r will be an excellent choice but if you want a drag radial, the NT05r is the tire you want.

Turbosixx

Established Member
I ran NT05r's on my C6Z06. The car would roast the Runflats at will, so I needed a tire that would hook. The NT05r's did not make any difference in first gear, still spins just as bad as the stock tires. Now second gear was a different story, the tire worked well. The nitto was enough the stabilize the 560 rwhp the car had, just didn't have quite enough traction in first gear. This was without a burnout, only on the street.

Ran 555r's on all my Turbo Regals with great results. I'd drive 700 plus mile road trips (even in the rain) and still hook decent. This was a 15" tire though, lots of sidewall. Best 60' was a 1.56 on a well prepped track.

On a side note, I hated the fact that if I got caught in the rain with the NT05r I'd be screwed. I've read where people have said they were fine in the rain if you drive slowly. I can't trust that, one of my cars spun out on the interstate in light rain with a MT D/R, never again.

Like stated before, our cars have enough power to create traction issues with just about any tire.

paluka21

Established Member
Just run the NT05Rs, the 555Rs are junk

Uggh, I don't think that's a totally accurate statement, at all. What experience do you have with the NT555R tire? I've personally used these tires on a car over 700rwhp and 3300lbs and they hooked great on a 40 series profile. I've also known many people have great luck with the NT555R tire.
To say they're junk is not true. To say they do not hook on dry pavement as well as the NT05R, or an MT ET drag radial, would be accurate. Bottom line, they are a good compromise for better traction, and will provide wet traction in the event you get stuck in the rain.

paluka21

Established Member
I plan to run the NT05r. I've used the 555r before and I typically tell people they are a great street tire. I wouldn't put them in the drag radial class even though they are a DR. Compared to the ET Street Radial or even NT05r, the 555r isn't in the same league. If you want a good street tire, the 555r will be an excellent choice but if you want a drag radial, the NT05r is the tire you want.

This. Although I have pulled a high 1.7 60' on an NT555R 275/40/17 tire.

lovebread

Established Member
Any approximation on how long these tires last for street application?

I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on the 555/555r combo today :)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Uggh, I don't think that's a totally accurate statement, at all. What experience do you have with the NT555R tire? I've personally used these tires on a car over 700rwhp and 3300lbs and they hooked great on a 40 series profile. I've also known many people have great luck with the NT555R tire.
To say they're junk is not true. To say they do not hook on dry pavement as well as the NT05R, or an MT ET drag radial, would be accurate. Bottom line, they are a good compromise for better traction, and will provide wet traction in the event you get stuck in the rain.
I ran 555Rs on my 430whp 95 GT and could spin them for days, I ran them again on my bolt on 08 GT500 and could rarely get traction in 2nd and 1st gear was useless, I went to NT05Rs and night and day difference. I could cut 1.7 60fts at the track and have traction on the street in any gear. Sure the 555Rs are ok for a street tire and they may last a extra 2,000 miles compared to the NT05Rs, but for me I like traction.

rwboring

Established Member
I ran 555Rs on my 430whp 95 GT and could spin them for days, I ran them again on my bolt on 08 GT500 and could rarely get traction in 2nd and 1st gear was useless, I went to NT05Rs and night and day difference. I could cut 1.7 60fts at the track and have traction on the street in any gear. Sure the 555Rs are ok for a street tire and they may last a extra 2,000 miles compared to the NT05Rs, but for me I like traction.

I have the nt05 (not R) and I like them, if you dont feel youll get the track use (or might hit rain) you might want to look into the NT05

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I know this is a different option. i run the mickey thompson drag radial 2's

i was pulling 1.68 60 foots on a totally stock suspension making about 725-735 rwhp (also a convertible)

they hook so damn well it killed my clutch!!

HANDLING BLOWS!!!!

It feels like you're driving on 2 flat rear tires the sidewall is so soft. even at 40 psi vs 16 psi it doesn't feel much different at all.

if traction is what you're after. Mickey thompsons will do it with no issue. going over 100 mph and around sweeping curves. forget it. straight line, no issue past 160.

and over 500 miles on them and MANY burnouts, they still look really good.

I dont' drive in the rain but i have been on wet road and they are no better than stock tires. any more than 1/4 throttle and you're spinning even in 4-5 gears.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty good explanations above, I had the 555/555Rs on Cobras and only the NT05/NT05Rs on the Shelby but at 625-650rwhp it's great street traction and I was impressed at the strip.
To me it's the balance I want for my goals, I'll let you know how the handle another 100+rwhp :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread