Has anyone patented an invention and put it into production?

jsonic

Established Member
Basically my dad and i have been designing something that we have yet to see on the market. We are in the process of building the prototype, finalizing the product and then applying for the patent.

Has anyone ever patented a product before? How long does it take to be approved or denied? Have you put it into mass production?

I have never invented anything and just seeking some advice or stories from past experiences?

Thanks

Gary Macomber

Established Member
You patent ideas, don't wait until you have the product ready. Get a utility patent for what the item is used for, get a design patent and get any other patent you can. If you find out a patent already exists for a part or all of the product find out who owns it and try to buy it or get use of it.

99-venom

Established Member
I have not been the one to actually file a patent, but I have IP that is in an patent.

My brothers patent issued 4 years after being filed.

If I'm not mistaken, you're covered from the time you file onwards for IP.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
My father and I have 1 patent and another patent pending and are in the stages of selling the rights to it as we speak. For patent pending status it didn't too terribly long, but it took about 4 years to get the actual patent finalized on the first one.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
We dont bother with patents. Just Perfect your design before you bring it to market. If you truly think you cant build it any better than you have nothing to worry about. Family was the first to produce 100% recycled plastic pallet.

oldmodman

Established Member
Talk to an attorney. You may want to trademark it instead.

All a patent does for you is to allow you to sue, at your expense, anyone that copies it.

jsonic

Established Member
Interesting I didn't realize it took that long to patent something.

I guess I will continue to design and finalize my idea and talk to an attorney.

I appreciate the help guys.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Basically my dad and i have been designing something that we have yet to see on the market. We are in the process of building the prototype, finalizing the product and then applying for the patent.

Has anyone ever patented a product before? How long does it take to be approved or denied? Have you put it into mass production?

I have never invented anything and just seeking some advice or stories from past experiences?

Thanks

Tread carefully, the first thing you need to do is get an attorney to do a patent search. There are companies sitting on literally tens of thousands of patents and not doing anything with them. Just because its not on the market does not mean it is not intellectual property. :nono: If you release anything remotely similar prepare to get raped in court. It wont be pretty. In fact there are companies that make a profit strictly from buying patents and filing suits against entrepreneurs as yourself.

jsonic

Established Member
Tread carefully, the first thing you need to do is get an attorney to do a patent search. There are companies sitting on literally tens of thousands of patents and not doing anything with them. Just because its not on the market does not mean it is not intellectual property. :nono: If you release anything remotely similar prepare to get raped in court. It wont be pretty. In fact there are companies that make a profit strictly from buying patents and filing suits against entrepreneurs as yourself.

Thats messed up. I thought you couldnt patent an idea? Isn't a patent only for protecting the rights of the invention?

1slo5ohh

Established Member
So what ya working on???

Just kidding, as others have mentioned I would get with an attorney first thing.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member

+1 Do a search before you drop tons of bucks into the product. Find an attorney who is admitted to practice before the USPTO.

You may want to trademark it instead.

All a patent does for you is to allow you to sue, at your expense, anyone that copies it.

:nonono: Two different things. A trademark is a word or a symbol associated with goods or services such as a brand name. A patent protects the design of the product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread