Has anyone here switched career fields (management) successfully? I am considering it

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I am looking for some input from folks that have moved from one industry to another (preferably as a manager). I am looking at doing this, and would like some feedback from people who have already done it.

I managed a customer support service desk with 10 CSA's, and the L1 UNIX/LINUX, Windows, Network, Backup, and Web Applications teams with a staff of 12. I also remotely managed an extension team in Kuala Lampur, and in India. I have several years of experience with customer service, customer satisfaction, managing escalations / crisis, etc.

I recently (6 months ago) moved into an operations management role, and to be frank, I am not happy with the new role. I have been looking internally for another position that would put me back in a role similar to my previous one, but I also started thinking about moving out of I.T. / Business, and into another field (possibly retail, or another type of business, etc.) in management.

I am not worried about learning new things since I pick up new technology / process / business models, etc very quickly. Learning new things quickly has been a requirement in all the positions I have held. I have a background in security management, military (MP), HAZMAT Emergency Response, and Safety management.

I had to change careers in the mid 1990's due to lung damage from my tour in desert shield / storm in 1991. The lungs got worse, and I had to leave the HAZMAT field.

Has anyone here done a similar transition? If so, how did it turn out? Managing for results, people management, etc., really is not all that different, regardless of the industry, at least, in my experience.

Another question, what industry should I be looking to transition into that would have comparable compensation levels? ($80K - $90K annual)

So, any advice, guidance, experience here in the forum?

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
Yes and no.

I managed the Car Audio dept. at 3 different Circuit Citys over the course of about 7 years. Decided I'd had enough of getting paid jack for all the stress of Management, and especially holiday schedules. Now I work Desktop Support making more money. Everything comes full circle. :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Any field you are not experienced in, but look to transfer into, generally will not pay the same as the advanced level of current employment.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Any field you are not experienced in, but look to transfer into, generally will not pay the same as the advanced level of current employment.

True. I have experience in a few fields, so I am narrowing the search down to those. I am also looking into different flavors of my current field: help desk manager, service desk manager, service delivery manager, call center manager, etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread