Has anyone here modded a Wii?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I just found out that a Wii can be modded to play NES & SNES games and I would like to do it to mine so I can play all the games I grew up playing. I was hoping someone here does it or has done it with success and can help me out by explaining exactly how it is done. Thanks.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
i modded the heck out of my original xbox. it could rip xbox games, had all the snes games, all the nes games, gameboy, sega, etc... PLUS it had a m.a.m.e. emulator so it could play arcade games.

don't know how similar it would be to mod a wii, but i'm thinking a chip and some soldering would be required (it was for my xbox).

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I bought a top of the line modded xbox during the Halo 2 days. If anyone knows of High Impact Halo and another forum i cant remember, I was well known for my skins and handful of mods. This thread brought back so much nostalgia! I miss being 15.

I tried finding a modded wii online and its weird that nobody sells them premodded anymore.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Yes its easily done. I use to have 6 of em... About 13 nodded Xboxes... Couple nodded 360s.. As well as 10 n64s.. Etc etc...

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
My uncle did mine got over 500 games on a 1terabite hard drive, its easy to operate but like most of the mods it has its random flaws. I have no idea how to do myself. and as for redrockets statement they make a classic controller that plugs right in

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I just found out that a Wii can be modded to play NES & SNES games and I would like to do it to mine so I can play all the games I grew up playing. I was hoping someone here does it or has done it with success and can help me out by explaining exactly how it is done. Thanks.

Yea its called softmod. I done this awhile ago, it really opens up the capabilities of the Wii. Once you get it set up right it is awesome. I run all my Sega,NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube games, and Wii games from my HDD. Soft modding the Wii is really addicting.hahah Also to the guy that said playing these games with the wii mote would suck. Its not half bad but its not that great either so I use the game cube controller plugged into the top for all games other than the Wii games which I use the Wii mote for.
I will say the emulator for the N64 is okay but can lag alot if you are playing the game and it gets overloaded with action. I was trying to play old school Goldeneye and it wasnt really playable.

I am looking at modding xbox 360 now. Anybody got any tips PM me.

Last edited:

Lightning Lad

Established Member
Have you considered an emulator for your pc,you can play any game you want and its free.You can also buy snes or nes controllers that will plug into usb ports for a more authentic experience.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
I am looking at modding xbox 360 now. Anybody got any tips PM me.

what do you want to do?

I used to have a few.. but I think my next step is just get a MAME arcade cabinet, and just run that.

I got tired of having 2500 videogame boxes everywhere

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Have you considered an emulator for your pc,you can play any game you want and its free.You can also buy snes or nes controllers that will plug into usb ports for a more authentic experience.

I havent looked into this recently but it would be great if anyone knew a good write up for emulators and which controllers you can use for each and what not. I have them on my phone but when i've tried to download them in the past on my pc I could never get them to work properly. PC emulators are the way to go! Really interested in PS2 and N64 and Dreamcast emulators.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I havent looked into this recently but it would be great if anyone knew a good write up for emulators and which controllers you can use for each and what not. I have them on my phone but when i've tried to download them in the past on my pc I could never get them to work properly. PC emulators are the way to go! Really interested in PS2 and N64 and Dreamcast emulators.
Phone emulators work perfect as well. I can stream cast my phone to my TV and play with a bluetooth controller all from my GS5. I download my roms from emu paradise. They work perfectly! Have Goldeneye, Nes, Snes games as well as PS1 games. I love it!

CompOrange04GT

Established Member

PC emulators are poop. ( Insert yes.. I'm a console gamer and hate PC's) ;)

I mean I guess if you have a gaming computer it's nice. But with stuff like a Wii or Xbox it becomes a lot more portable.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
ive got a modded wii... bought it for my daughter when they were hard to find.. i think she turned it on like 5 times. its just been sitting for years

BlueSnake01

Established Member
PC emulators are poop. ( Insert yes.. I'm a console gamer and hate PC's) ;)

I mean I guess if you have a gaming computer it's nice. But with stuff like a Wii or Xbox it becomes a lot more portable.
You don't need a gaming computer to play old schools games with an emulator :nonono:

Vigilante

Established Member
I used wiibrew.org HOWEVER...

I have a modded PSP and Wii. Even with those, I always seem to go back to my PC emulators. I rarely touched the PSP mod and mostly just played new games anyway. The Wii was the same way. It was cool to download a couple new games but with no time to play anyway, when I finally did sit down to play the games were already five or ten bucks used. Even more so now that even the Wii U is getting old.

I had this idea to make one super system for vacation, everything from atari to n64 and PS1. But it can't handle classics like Goldeneye like others have said, so I had to bring an n64 anyway and the rest emulated on a laptop.

One final word, I did this while the Wii was still "alive." Which means until someone created a stable version, you were cut off from new games. Now that its "dead" no reason to worry about that, but that does mean that there is no more multi-player, or friend system or any of that. LAN still works obviously.

Honestly PC is the way to go, not very portable, but can do a lot more. And with more space too, now that its modded I have to constantly move game saves around just to play regular games, by the way Mario Party 8 is about the only game I play on it.

Honestly, knowing what I know now, I would've bought a (really cheap) dedicated tower and left it at that.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I have a modded PSP and Wii. Even with those, I always seem to go back to my PC emulators.

I had this idea to make one super system for vacation, everything from atari to n64 and PS1. But it can't handle classics like Goldeneye like others have said, so I had to bring an n64 anyway and the rest emulated on a laptop.

Honestly PC is the way to go, not very portable, but can do a lot more. And with more space too, now that its modded I have to constantly move game saves around just to play regular games, by the way Mario Party 8 is about the only game I play on it.

Honestly, knowing what I know now, I would've bought a (really cheap) dedicated tower and left it at that.

What emulators and controllers do you recommend for pc? I have a top of the line gaming pc and a useless second one with plenty of capability for emulators and roms. Really interested in N64, ps1 or 2, and Dreamcast. But I too have always wanted to have an all in one system and have an extra computer to do so.

I have been using MyBoy on my android for anything gameboy pre-ds. It would just be nice to play zelda and smash brothers with real controllers and without using my real n64's. But it would be cool to play more recent games if possible.

Last edited:

Lightning Lad

Established Member
Project 64 is good for the n64, epsxe is good for the ps1, pcsx2 is good for ps2.As far as dreamcast is concerned I'm not sure.If you want to use an n64 style controller with a usb plug there are plenty but if you're dead set on using an original then there is an adapter for the n64 controller to plug into a usb port.

Users who are viewing this thread