Has anyone flushed their own coolant system?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I ask this because I have not found an answer using the search function. I have recently drained and filled my coolant system, but am now having serious overheating problems. At first I thought the thermostat was stuck shut, but I was told by a Ford technician that the Cobras, Lightnings and HD trucks have a special procedure and equipment to remove trapped air in the system when doing a flush. A pump (hand?) is connected and all air sucked from the system to prevent vapor lock in the block. Has anyone been able to do a flush on their own without this pump? My car is stuck in the garage 'cause I can hardly drive it before it starts to overheat. I will take it to the dealership if I have to, but was wondering if there was another easier, do-it-yourself method. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

:shrug:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
See the little plug up near the blower on the coolant line? When cool, take that off (takes a 1/4" drive ratchet). Fill it up to the top. Fill the resevior. Start the car, let it warm up. Shut it down and let it cool. Repeat. Do that until you dont lose any more out of the resevoir and the coolant line has some in it.

Im going to be doing mine soon to get rid of the water wetter that seems to have caused some gunk in mine.

m8trix00

Established Member
It really seems all I hear is negative stuff about water wetter.

Sorry not trying to jack the subject...

Good luck with your car. :thumbsup:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
In my experience, a 70% distilled water / 30% coolant fill works as well as water wetter for keeping the engine from overheating. Of course I'm in Georgia where the winters are much milder than say New York or Minn-Ah-So-Taa. Of course I'm in Georgia where the summertime temps climb over 90 and "Rush Hour Traffic" turns the interstates into parking lots. :cuss:
That's when you'll know if you have an overheating problem.

Users who are viewing this thread