Has Anyone Ever Physically Prototyped Something and Went to Market?

SirShaun

Established Member
I am an IT Engineer but an Entrepreneurial goal has been haunting me for years. In short, I want to take some actions to work towards my goal of designing a successful product(s).

The material of which it will be made out of I am unsure at the moment. Originally I wanted it to be made of silicone, but due to the size, a less costly material will most likely be needed.

Has anyone used a prototyping company before to get your idea crafted? Was the cost outrageous? I am trying to determine what will be most cost effective.

A. Spend a lot of Time and Money crafting it at home, testing different materials, etc.
B. Take my idea to some people who know the ins and outs of everything comfort rubber.

Has anyone here made any large molds before? If so, what material did you opt to make the mold out of? I am thinking a big piece of Plywood and a crap ton of Modeling Clay, then pour the rubber, let it cure.

If anyone has some experience in molds/rubber and would like to help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated. I could use a partner in this honestly. If anyone is interested, send me a PM, I can work up a non disclosure, non compete agreement, have you sign it with proof of ID, and we can begin discussing my actual idea. If we end up millionaires, so be it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
1) I would have to think a lot of these prototype places give zero ****s about the success of the product so Id be cautious of what they recommend during the process. Is it a real benefit for you or just more revenue for them?

2) Are there any business development centers in your area? I know Orlando has a lot of various programs for various stages/types of business including development assistance at greatly reduced or no costs (look for business incubators/development programs through local gov or universities)

3) if you use any overseas production you better be EXTREMELY specific in all your specs and materials because they will change that shit on you in a heartbeat without your approval and if you don't catch it then its your problem.

99-venom

Established Member
How large of a part is it?

I do quite a bit of design and prototyping, but most of my work will fit in the palm of your hand.

jbs$

Established Member
What are the dimensions of the final product? A mold for a product that is five inches wide X 1/2 inch thick X four inches high cost about $3,000 in China, if you have good drawings to start with. You can scale larger parts up from there. Another poster was correct about the material in China made parts, if you do not stay on top of every shipment, they will start mixing in floor sweeping.

SirShaun

Established Member
How large of a part is it?

I do quite a bit of design and prototyping, but most of my work will fit in the palm of your hand.

What are the dimensions of the final product? A mold for a product that is five inches wide X 1/2 inch thick X four inches high cost about $3,000 in China, if you have good drawings to start with. You can scale larger parts up from there. Another poster was correct about the material in China made parts, if you do not stay on top of every shipment, they will start mixing in floor sweeping.

It'd be a range of sizes, I am going for. Largest being 20 ft (L) x 10 ft (W) x 1-3 in (H), which is making me think, no way in hell anyone could afford the amount of silicone this would take or be able to carry it if needed. In calculating the amount of water it would take, it comes out to 374 gallons at 3 inches of height, if it were a tank.

I could implement holes throughout to save on materials/weight and it still work as intended however. JBs cost estimate on just a mold for something small, has me thinking no way in hell could I prototype it with a professional mold.

99-venom

Established Member
Silicone is very easy and cheap to work with. The material its self costs similar to rubber in engineering grades. But, something that large, on the cheap, would require an oven to cure if you planned to work with raw silicone. You can bond silicone sheeting to silicone sheeting very easily.

Are you wanting to make a large bladder?

SirShaun

Established Member
Sent you a PM 99-venom. Not a bladder, but a bladder filled with gel, could be good.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
My dad taught me to do everything yourself. Because if you get beat at your own game, you only have yourself to blame. My dad was the first person to make a 100% recycled plastic pallet and sold solely to Miller Brewing Company. Owned 4 Large injection molding machines and would make a pallet about every 3 minutes. We just started a new business, Rotational molding Boat Docks. If you need any advice mold building. Me and my dad know a thing or two if you have any questions. We have hand built all our own molds. Best of luck

SirShaun

Established Member
My dad taught me to do everything yourself. Because if you get beat at your own game, you only have yourself to blame. My dad was the first person to make a 100% recycled plastic pallet and sold solely to Miller Brewing Company. Owned 4 Large injection molding machines and would make a pallet about every 3 minutes. We just started a new business, Rotational molding Boat Docks. If you need any advice mold building. Me and my dad know a thing or two if you have any questions. We have hand built all our own molds. Best of luck

That's awesome on the recycled plastic pallet. I don't have access to any molding machines. What materials do you guys use for the model, and then what did you make the mold out of?

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
For our rotational molds. We're kinda old school. But it saves a lot of money. We fabricate everything out of wood and putty. Than get the mold sand casted than polish to a mirror. Is there a better way and more efficient. Yes for sure. But your talking thousands and thousands of dollars to have a mold hired done. Little bit of elbow grease and you can do it yourself. Don't spend more than you have to on your first part. You'll redesign it more times than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99-venom

Established Member
For our rotational molds. We're kinda old school. But it saves a lot of money. We fabricate everything out of wood and putty. Than get the mold sand casted than polish to a mirror. Is there a better way and more efficient. Yes for sure. But your talking thousands and thousands of dollars to have a mold hired done. Little bit of elbow grease and you can do it yourself. Don't spend more than you have to on your first part. You'll redesign it more times than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Your first prototype will probably fail miserably, but don't be discouraged. All first inventions fail, unless you discover something you didn't intend to discover. Apply what you learned from the previous designs and move on to the next.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I used to work for my cousin who owns a prototyping and mold making company in southern MD. www.protocad.com He's been doing it almost as long as I've been alive, shoot him an email and he might be able to point you in the right direction. Tell them Dale sent you. Or PM me if you have any questions on the mold making process.

So basically you are making a mold to create the first prototype? It's usually done the other way around where you construct or 3D print a prototype, get it to exactly what you want, then make a mold from that part to create duplicates.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I used to work for my cousin who owns a prototyping and mold making company in southern MD. www.protocad.com He's been doing it almost as long as I've been alive, shoot him an email and he might be able to point you in the right direction. Tell them Dale sent you. Or PM me if you have any questions on the mold making process.

So basically you are making a mold to create the first prototype? It's usually done the other way around where you construct or 3D print a prototype, get it to exactly what you want, then make a mold from that part to create duplicates.

We have got some prototypes done through them. Good group.

SirShaun

Established Member

I understand what you are saying. A 3D print would be sweet but at home I have no way to print something 20' x 10'. Doing it at home, I would have to modify or make a new mold every time, then pour the rubber to take shape, is what I was referencing. Once I nail a solid cast, I would then replicate the mold in something sturdier.

I will definitely shoot him an email. Thanks for the contact.

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I understand what you are saying. A 3D print would be sweet but at home I have no way to print something 20' x 10'. Doing it at home, I would have to modify or make a new mold every time, then pour the rubber to take shape, is what I was referencing. Once I nail a solid cast, I would then replicate the mold in something sturdier.

I will definitely shoot him an email. Thanks for the contact.

A 3D print outside of machine envelope is done in multiple pieces and glued or melted together. As you say though, a new mold is required for most design changes, sometimes you can modify, but you can't add material after you take if off in most cases.

Scrutinize your design on paper or in CAD before you drop coin on making molds, or mock it up with cardboard/wood/clay first. Document everything. If it's patentable, a set of engineering drawings goes a long way.

7upstang

Established Member
If you are serious about this, spend the money to sit down with a patent lawyer. A patent will be key to this.

The Chinese will alter items to sell to other companies, so be carefully who you pick to work with. International agreements would be a good route.

I'd agree with a 3-D printing of what you are trying to accomplish. Shouldn't be too expensive.

My molds cost roughly $7,000 a piece for my material in China, other countries could be different.

Will this product be a solution to the market? Do you know who to sell to?

SirShaun

Established Member
If you are serious about this, spend the money to sit down with a patent lawyer. A patent will be key to this.

Will this product be a solution to the market? Do you know who to sell to?

Honestly I'd be happy with just getting something developed and doing a proof of concept before starting to think about patent lawyers and producing for the masses. I don't have the capital to hit it hard enough to fail, and would have to grow it from the ground up.

I see it very much as a solution to the market. It can be marketed towards multiple industries and demographics, without a doubt. It also has the potential for licensing.

sounds like you need an investor.

You are right about that one ha. I have a wife and 2 kids. I don't want to affect their quality of life, for my own selfish goals. If I were single without kids, I wouldn't hesitate to live in 1 bedroom hut to make it happen. I've thought about letting the GT500 go to gain some extra capital to throw at it.

jbs$

Established Member
If you go down the road for a patent, expect the spend $15,000 to $20,000 with no guarantee, what-so-ever, of success. The US patent system has been revised over the past few years, all to make it more difficult.

SirShaun

Established Member
If you go down the road for a patent, expect the spend $15,000 to $20,000 with no guarantee, what-so-ever, of success. The US patent system has been revised over the past few years, all to make it more difficult.

Got Damn! 15-20k jeez. I was thinking a patent cost a few grand, damn.

To make things worst, I found a mint 1968 Shelby Fastback clone last night. 351w worked to a 408, fully forged, Performance automatic transmission C-4 w/brake. Strange driveshaft 9" rear w/ Strange 33 spline axles 4.56 gears. Hoosier slicks, Mickey Thompson fronts. 12 point cage w/removable front clip. MSD 7al3 box w/ msd coil and Moroso Ultra 40 wires, with a title...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread