Has anyone done Kart racing or have kids that do/did?

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
My son is 5 now and I am looking to get him into Kart racing. I know Jr. Dragster doesnt start until 8 but I have seen a couple classes of Kart that start at 5, 7, 8, etc. I have found a "Kid Kart" class that is 5-7 years old. Anyone have experience with this?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I don't have have any personal experience, except for my last visit to the track.

Friends and I went to run karts. One guy and his wife had his two daughters out practicing on little karts, between adult runs. One was maybe 5-6 years old, other was about 10. Both seemed to really enjoy it and were cutting some mean corners. Last run they asked to run with us. They stayed about middle of the pack, which is good on a smaller kart with kids who can barely feed themselves. :lol:

If I ever come down with a case of offspring, I want to try to get them into karts after seeing them.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I haven't personally done it or know anyone who did, but it looks like great fun. I think it would be a great way to introduce them to the sport as well instead of them just having to sit in the pits. I will be doing something like this when I have kids.

Blown 89

Established Member
I didn't start racing karts until I was older but here's what I know about kids karting.

They start at 5 years old and race Honda GX50's. At 7 they will bump up Briggs Cadet, then TAG, then World Formula. Get on Google and find your local karting club and they will have everything you need to know including where to buy used gear to get started.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I used to run karts a little bit off and on when I was younger, mostly my cousins karts though as he was the one into it pretty heavily.

I started Jr. Drag racing when I was 8 years old and went until I turned 18 and jumped into the full size dragster. Hands down the best memories of my life were at the racetrack with my dad. Not only was it a blast racing but I made some great friends and learned a lot about mechanics of stuff and sportsmanship. Kart racing and Jr. Drag racing are definitely expensive hobbies but worth every penny and then some.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I did karting until I was older. Get him in a brigs and straton kart 5hp kart but really fun. Go to the local track that races and see what they have setup! Def a great way for your child to experiance racing. It deff gave me the insperation. I stopped at rotax karts lol

Users who are viewing this thread