Has anyone changed out your heads?

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I got some extra money and was thinking about upgrading my heads. As anyone done this and do you think it will worth the money. And yes probably at the end of the year I will be getting a SC.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Just wait, we have DI ports in our heads, when thy get the furl system ready be ready to gain some sick power

5lho

Established Member
DI isn't god's gift to making power, friend. It comes with its own set of headaches and challenges:

Head pressures of 2000 + psi requiring a total redesign of the fuel system and a mechanical pump of some kind.

DI is also difficult to modify as almost nobody makes injectors for upgrading.

DI tends to run on the rich side on AFR, for a variety of reasons, making tuning and good fuel mileage a challenge in a high powered application.

DI offers no self-cleaning of the intake valves meaning decarbonisation returns to car maintenance after an about 50 year hiatus.

I'm not anti-technology at all but, there are real issues here to be looked at before going DI on this package. DI is great for diesels, with 20+ years of accumulated practical experience but, it's still a pretty new day for gas-powered vehicles.

The joke is DI has actually been around since the 1930s...it's modern electronic control that makes it feasible in a car application.

To the OP, I'd just get the super and be done. the gain from headwork isn't warranted in this case. These aren't E7 truck heads and the SC will make them flow better than you'd ever need. People are busting 1000 hp with turbo kits on the stock heads porting, 600+ on superchargers.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
DI isn't god's gift to making power, friend. It comes with its own set of headaches and challenges:

Head pressures of 2000 + psi requiring a total redesign of the fuel system and a mechanical pump of some kind.

DI is also difficult to modify as almost nobody makes injectors for upgrading.

DI tends to run on the rich side on AFR, for a variety of reasons, making tuning and good fuel mileage a challenge in a high powered application.

DI offers no self-cleaning of the intake valves meaning decarbonisation returns to car maintenance after an about 50 year hiatus.

I'm not anti-technology at all but, there are real issues here to be looked at before going DI on this package. DI is great for diesels, with 20+ years of accumulated practical experience but, it's still a pretty new day for gas-powered vehicles.

The joke is DI has actually been around since the 1930s...it's modern electronic control that makes it feasible in a car application.

To the OP, I'd just get the super and be done. the gain from headwork isn't warranted in this case. These aren't E7 truck heads and the SC will make them flow better than you'd ever need. People are busting 1000 hp with turbo kits on the stock heads porting, 600+ on superchargers.

Great post but keep in mind 2015 were getting DI in the mustang, it's already been said. Also isee the push in it is due to the car going worldwide

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
My Mazdaspeed 3 was DI, not a total pain, but did take some fueling mods and a good tuner to get you where you wanted to be.

98ss88mm

Established Member
thanks... first thing that came to my mind when I read that was F&F "IT HASSSSSSS direct port nitrous injection Dominick" lol

5lho

Established Member
My last car was an '08 Speed 3. I tuned that sucker to 300 hp on a 10.XX:1 AFRs. It was ridonkulously rich but, was good in terms of output ultimately. I was practically setting the factory turbo on fire pushing it that hard.

So, I'm downgrading to PI in this car and I'm damn happy to do it. Simple injector swap, at manifold height, in the event of going FI later, ahhhh. Sucker still gets high teens mpg around town, no issues while dishing out 400+.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
My last car was an '08 Speed 3. I tuned that sucker to 300 hp on a 10.XX:1 AFRs. It was ridonkulously rich but, was good in terms of output ultimately. I was practically setting the factory turbo on fire pushing it that hard.

So, I'm downgrading to PI in this car and I'm damn happy to do it. Simple injector swap, at manifold height, in the event of going FI later, ahhhh. Sucker still gets high teens mpg around town, no issues while dishing out 400+.

Still have the MS3?

a few of mine

5159582889_568d0133b0_z.jpg

5159569325_b17a516ae7_z.jpg

5160173104_b6ba88884f_z.jpg

No big car, but held its own.
Cobb DP catted, Corksport Catback, Cobb SRI & TIP, Mr lilguy FP, Forge BPV(red spring + 1 shim), and tuned @ Cobb Plano. Made 314RWHP on the stock KO4.

Miss the turbo and full spool up by 3K haha.

Griever423

Established Member
I got some extra money and was thinking about upgrading my heads. As anyone done this and do you think it will worth the money. And yes probably at the end of the year I will be getting a SC.

Headwork can do wonders for your powerband and power levels. Add in cams to take advantage of the new airflow and you could gain a ton of power all throughout the RPM range. The car will feel totally different.

Now, I'm speaking from experience with other engines; however, the concept remains the same. It's an expensive mod, especially if you pay someone else to pull your heads off for you and reinstall them. If you can get them off and back on yourself a head job (lol) won't break the bank. If you're not going to be doing cams with it the actual power gains might not be as much as you're expecting, but believe me the difference in the way the car feels is worth it.

For instance, I have a friend of a friend who has a 2002 camaro ss who only has headwork and a cam in it and he's putting down 450whp. That's coming from a 330ish crank HP LS1> (Not exact numbers so don't jump all over me.)

wbt

Banned
Unless you are going for an all out N/A build, swapping to the Boss heads isn't going to gain you much by themselves. Now if you are moving to bigger cams and the other items that go along with that, there are decent gains to be had.

Is it worth the $2,500+??? Depends on your goals. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread