Has anyone broke there adjustable clutch cable??

Ystang99gt

Established Member
On the way to work today my "super strong" adjustable cable broke. I turned the corner and i heard a loud poping noise and next thing i know the end of the cable where it hooks to the quadrant was on the floor.:bash:

Does this happen alot?? The thing is when i bought my clutch setup from promotion they told me to buy an adjustable cable to use with the mcleod quadrant and hear i am with a car that starts but will not move:burn:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
There has been a lot of cable breakage actually but its not the cables fault but the aftermarket quadrant that causes wear and in turn broken cables. The stock quadrant sits and rotates on a fixed axis. Aftermarket quadrants just "float" on the shaft and can slide from side to side slightly which causes wear on the cable and leads to breakage. I think its a good idea to cut a peice of PVC pipe to use as a spacer and keep the quadrant in line with the cable coming through the firewall.

mosconiac

Established Member
Uh oh, I bought the same cable to go with their Firewall Adjuster and Qaudrant. I've yet to install it as I've been working on suspension at the moment.

I had reservations about taking it as part of the kit, but Walt insisted it be used over a modified stocker.

mosconiac

Established Member
I think its a good idea to cut a peice of PVC pipe to use as a spacer and keep the quadrant in line with the cable coming through the firewall.
Walt also insisted that he has tried every spacer solution known to man and the only good solution is to let the quadrant float. His tone and apparent knowledge was enough for me, but ... CRAP! What do I believe now?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Walt also insisted that he has tried every spacer solution known to man and the only good solution is to let the quadrant float. His tone and apparent knowledge was enough for me, but ... CRAP! What do I believe now?
Hmm, I havent heard anyone who has used a spacer complaining of a broken cable yet. The grove that the cable rides in on the quadrant has pretty flat edges, I wonder if rounding the channel slightly would add a little longevity?

Users who are viewing this thread